Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haven't seen it yet, did they leave a lot stuff out like in LOTR? I was really disappointed that Tom Bombadil wasn't in LOTR.

Ugh... Tom Bombadil was an annoying part of the LotR if you ask me. I did miss the Barrow-downs and the raid on the house in Buckland and such. No biggie though.

It seems to me The Hobbit is a pretty short book to make into three 2+ hour feature films... the first movie basically confirmed that in my mind. It seems to me they're trying to milk the franchise for all it's worth. I didn't like the first installment near as much as any of the LOTR movies.

I agree, I was wondering how they were going to do it. They have drastically expanded on the Dol Goldur storyline, and added a couple of new roles in the Woodland elves. Well, Legolas was in the other movies, but never mentioned in The Hobbit, and the new Tauriel elf IS hawt! I love her! Although the psuedo-love-triangle thing there has me really scratching my head. I don't like that aspect of it. Am I a Middle-Earth racist???? :D Who knows...

Anyways, Evangeline Lilly is very cool.

I think they did a great job on the movie, though, as above they have really expanded alot on the whole Smaug interaction, but that's ok with me, it's a big plus in the action, so I don't mind at all. I'm looking forward to Episode 3! :D

Overall, a big thumbs' up! I saw in Fort Smith's crappy theater in 3D, but I had purchased 4 tickets for Imax 3D in Tulsa. When my son got sick we decided not to go, so maybe next weekend we will. I can't wait to see it again, and seeing it in IMAX 3D would frigging ROCK!

Oh, and I thought Ender's Game was better than I expected, too. I'm going to get the books on my Kindle now.

murphy j

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw it last Friday, and really enjoyed it. It's been awhile since I read the book so I didn't catch some of the added material, but I think they might be incorporating some stuff from Tolkien's notes. Supposedly he had all kinds of writing that tied in with the existing works.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Saw it Saturday at the Warren IMAX. It was spectacularly done but some of the scenes were dragged on a bit too long (barrel scene). I would see it again but definitely skip the large drink at the start, that made for a very long 45 minutes.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This thread is pretty much the opposite direction of the one on Arfcom.

As a big Tolkien fan, I was disappointed in the first one (too much nonsense added), and after seeing many reviews it seems like the best part of the movie is a character who shouldn't even be there.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
They have to add a hottie in. Sex sells.

Some scenes dragged and the battle sequences were so unrealistic it made my head spin. Then again, how realistic can it be when Elves are fighting Orcs and Drawves are fighting a dragon?

We liked it.

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haven't seen it yet, did they leave a lot stuff out like in LOTR? I was really disappointed that Tom Bombadil wasn't in LOTR.

The material in this movie is essentially made up by Peter Jackson. Hardly any of the main scenes are from the source material. That being said, it was great. You sound like my little brother though. He still complains to this day about certain mundane details PJ left out in the LOTR. I'm fully aware of everything left out but I think the films were immaculate and done as well as I ever imagined they could've been done. When it comes down to it does it really matter about stuff like Glorfindel's character being combined with Arwen Evenstar and blah, blah, blah....? Lol.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll be the first (but certainly not the only member) to say these movies remind me of middle school and Advanced Dungeons and Dragons. The kind played with paper and dice and imagination. Back before we were tethered to smart devices and the Internet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom