Hog hunt for Christmas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My parents got me a package hog hunt (3 night 2 day) at the Shiloh Ranch in Stonewall Ok. Guaranteed to get a hog in front of you. Plus I can shoot more if I want to pay for it.
Anyone know anything about this place? Know the people? Have any advice?

Thanks

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats on the hunt. I bet it’s going to be fun!
I don’t really have any advice, but I will say that contrary to a lot of internet lore pigs aren’t made of kevlar. It doesn’t take a bazooka to kill one. I’ve killed them with everything from a 17hmr (I don’t recommend that one) up to a 9.3x74r, but most have been killed with a 270 Win or a 308.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I plan on taking my 308.
Just have to decide on the AR or bolt action.
Take whichever you’re most comfortable with, but unless you’re planning to try to shoot multiple pigs before they run off, I’d take the bolt gun. Then again, I’m not a fan of a semi auto for a hunting rifle, but that’s just my preference. :anyone:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My parents got me a package hog hunt (3 night 2 day) at the Shiloh Ranch in Stonewall Ok. Guaranteed to get a hog in front of you. Plus I can shoot more if I want to pay for it.
Anyone know anything about this place? Know the people? Have any advice?

Thanks
I got a free hunt on that ranch once as a friend was a writer for some pig hunting magazine getting an invite to the ranch as part of a group.
It was a bow only hunt and was probably 25-30 years ago so any information about the facility from me is outdated.
I think their names were Matt and Sheryl? Were really good hosts. At that time we had the option of cooking our own meals or having them prepared by Sheryl. Glad we chose her as they were darned tasty.
It is a high fence hunt. There were several Sitka bucks and Audad rams as well.
Everyone arrowed a pig around the 80 lb range. After we field dressed them Matt offered to take the carcasses to a processor to be packaged for a fee of course.
We drove to the guys place on the way home, paid our bill and left with packaged meat.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is Shiloh Ranch what used to be Bowsafari?
No(at least I don't believe so). Shiloh is in Stonewall just outside Ada(SE). Matt and Cheryl sold Shiloh a few years back to a local guy so they could devote more time to their ministry. I've never been there but I thought it was low fence(hog panels) so pigs and goats/sheep can't get out but deer could jump over. Not 100% sure.

I do know that I have NEVER read a bad review for Shiloh. If you want details and such, I'd recommend going to bowsite.com and hit their hogs forum page then start reading. Many of the bowsite regulars go to Shiloh multiple times a year. Personally, I thought it was a bit pricey especially for an extra hog but I'm a tightwad too. They stay booked up too so might start planning ahead.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats on the hunt.

I second the use of a bolt action, unless you are trying to eradicate a bunch at once...but it sounds like you're paying per head.

.308 is fantastic for hogs. You don't need a fancy bullet either. Any 150 - 180gr soft point will kill them dead and fast as long as the shot is placed half-way decently.

Latest posts

Top Bottom