Hogs at Heyburn?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stingray

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever gotten a hog at Heyburn? I'm thinking of scouting it out when the weather cools off some. Wondering where I should be looking.

-S

Stingray

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually any good spots in Creek County or the near vicinity would be of interest to me. Soon as the weather cools down, I want to try my luck at bringing home the bacon.

-S

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I was on both sides of Canton this weekend and I saw more pig sign on the north side than on the south. It is pretty dry up there and all of the shallow ponds have become wallers.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Dude, they're all over Hayburn! I passed on MANY over on the lake side. Hunt as close to the lake as you can. They're all over there.

They also hang out in the bow-hunting only area behind the water treatment plant by the creek. I had a pretty good scare back there a few years back.

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dude, they're all over Hayburn! I passed on MANY over on the lake side. Hunt as close to the lake as you can. They're all over there.

They also hang out in the bow-hunting only area behind the water treatment plant by the creek. I had a pretty good scare back there a few years back.

alright you gotta elaborate on this.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
alright you gotta elaborate on this.

Walking out to my treestand in the dark one morning me and my hunting buddy ran into a group of hogs... The daddy hog - which we never saw had to be less than 10 feet in front of us. It was so thick back there, we could not see him... All we could hear is him grunting, snorting and stomping the ground. The thing sounded like a monster. Just freakin huge. This encounter lasted like what seemed to be forever... Finally him and the rest turn and ran. We never saw a single one, but they were crashing through the brush and trampling over everything as they left... Sounded like a herd of buffalo. We'd heard stories about folks being charged by these things and this was our first encounter with them. With what sounded like a 1000 lb boar, I thought we were about to get run over and I could not see the damn thing. I just knew it was right there, in front of me and my head lamp could not locate it, but it was RIGHT THERE! We could hear it breathing for heavens sakes! And it was not happy we had walked right up onto it and its other piggies unannounced.

After that, I never enter the woods without some heat. The feeling of defeat before the SHTF is not something I want to experience again. At least I'd like to think I have a fighting chance. :D

Honestly though, this is one of moments in my life I was actually, very, very scared.

Latest posts

Top Bottom