how many of you

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
....are preparing to go out September 1 and be beaten into submission by a little gray feathered rocket ship?

What is your favorite instument of embarassment?

I'll take two out to our favorite spot in the panhandle. A Ruger Red Label with the English stock and 28" barrels and an Ithaca 51.

Reaction score
Ha! Funny you should mention this, because I gave up/ swore off dove hunting a few weeks ago, and gave my decoys and such to a friend, including a mojo.

To me, it ain't worth it anymore. It's hot, I can't hit them worth a crap, they don't add up to much meat when I do hit them, and I ain't crazy about the taste that much anyway. But more than all that, I just don't have any access to land that is worth anything - no crop fields. Where I hunt them, they are sparse. Lucky to get 5 in a 1/2 day of hunting, usually only 2 or 3. Granted if I could hit them, I'd get 10 a day, but if frogs had wings, they wouldn't bounce their butts a-hoppin.

But the biggest reason is, if I have *any* extra time in September that I don't have work or responsbilities, I'd much rather be (a) scouting for archery deer/turkeys, (b) prepping land, feeders, etc., for fall deer/turkeys, and/or (c) going on an elk hunt in Colo or elsewhere!

But I wish you guys luck. Last year I used an O/U 28 ga.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love to shoot them and usually go on a family hunt opening day but will be forced to suffer in the mountains of New Mexico this year while chasing elk. I'll miss you guys getting eaten up by bugs and sweating.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My buddy sets up a dove field every year. We can usually limit out the first week, if a cold front doesn't come in to move them off.
I don't have any particular gun that is reserved for dove, so pretty much use the Weatherby D'Italia SXS in 12ga, Browning Citori 12 ga, A5 Sweet 16, Rem1100 20 ga, or the Mod 12 Win in 12ga.

JimmyC

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dove season has always been a right of passage since I first started hunting. I can't wait to blast those little birdies. I'm bustin em up with the Benelli Vinci this year. It's one of my favorite season, mostly because you get to do a ton of shooting!

AnnieOakley

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a blast last year dove hunting. I went a few times with my grandpa and my son, and used my dad's 20g Benelli. Once I got the hang of it, I limited out pretty quick. My son shot a banded dove & he was pretty proud of it. Poor thing had been banded a week before, 15 miles away, ha! He sure didn't make it far.

But I'm skipping dove season this year :( I'm bummed about it, but I'm just gonna focus my time into a better deer season.

Latest posts

Top Bottom