Hunting Set Ups This Season

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Barnett Raptor, of course. Third string this year. Then Saturday I went to unload my wife's Recruit and it dry fired somehow and cracked a limb.

I knew it! You don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get a quality crossbow, but you often get what you pay for with a device that has as much stress on it as a crossbow does. Everybody has their favorites but I have far and away seen more problems with Barnetts than any crossbow. If you ever decide to go the crossbow route again look me up I can give you some reccomendations on reasonable priced bows that shouldn't give you any problems.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Man am I getting lucky! I bought a *gulp* Horton Summit Elite about 3 years ago on cloeout from Natchez and have harvested at least two whitetails a year with it ever since ( and three turkeys)! This year is no exception. We already have a doe in the bag with it. Keeps it zero and the lighted scope is great. I just got a new string for it in the mail this week and plan on changing it and re-sighting it in before we go out this weekend. I shoot Easton magnum 2219's with basic three point broadheads (no fancy mechanicals). Longest shot to date was 43 yards, and we brought that doe home that night.

I honestly didn't expect it to last more than a season, but it's been great. only problem I see is that when it does break, there's no spare parts.

Still, best $150 I've spent on hunting ever! Next step is to get into a compound bow.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man am I getting lucky! I bought a *gulp* Horton Summit Elite about 3 years ago on cloeout from Natchez .

Some of those old Horton crossbows are solid well built bows that will last many years! Unfortunately towards the end of Horton's run (the old Horton that is) some of their bows got to be a crap shoot as the company was beginning to fail. I actually bought one of those Natchez closeouts too!! I sold it after one season, but it seemed to be a pretty good bow for the money. Honestly I didn't hear many complaints about the Horton Summit, so I bet that bow will serve you well for years to come. I believe those bows ran $500-600 brand new, so at $150 you got a homerun deal!

DeerAssassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man am I getting lucky! I bought a *gulp* Horton Summit Elite about 3 years ago on cloeout from Natchez and have harvested at least two whitetails a year with it ever since ( and three turkeys)! This year is no exception. We already have a doe in the bag with it. Keeps it zero and the lighted scope is great. I just got a new string for it in the mail this week and plan on changing it and re-sighting it in before we go out this weekend. I shoot Easton magnum 2219's with basic three point broadheads (no fancy mechanicals). Longest shot to date was 43 yards, and we brought that doe home that night.

I honestly didn't expect it to last more than a season, but it's been great. only problem I see is that when it does break, there's no spare parts.

Still, best $150 I've spent on hunting ever! Next step is to get into a compound bow.

My wife would have had a nice 6 point in the bag (Not bad for a first deer) last weekend if I wasn't using her crossbow. When she went to draw it spooked. She also had an older doe in crossbow range but just a little far for her compound. She is quite pissed about that lol.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A little late to the party and am actually done for this year, but this year's archery set up was a Excalibur Micro topped with an illuminated Leupold VX3 1.5-5 scope shooting 16.5" Laser II Pro Series bolts and Carbon Express XT4 broadheads.
View attachment 51260

Latest posts

Top Bottom