Hutchinson Kansas 90 MPH straight line wind took roof off Ace Hardware 12-15-21

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I drove back from Kansas City today and saw two wind-related wrecks. First an F-150 lost it's 12' enclosed trailer in southbound lanes. It had flipped on it's side on the shoulder. Truck looked okay though. Second wreck was northbound where a semi trailer had flipped, was in the right lane and a following semi had driven about 20' into the trailer. Both there I-35 between Wichita and Kansas City.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lamar CO reported 107 mph with tractor trailers on I-25 being blown over.

I-25 runs north and south through Trinidad, Pueblo, Colorado Springs, Denver and on north. There are a number of places where high winds can be a problem. The same can be said for Lamar.

One thing about Alabama is that there are so many trees (state is 75% forest) that straight winds get diminished.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I-25 runs north and south through Trinidad, Pueblo, Colorado Springs, Denver and on north. There are a number of places where high winds can be a problem. The same can be said for Lamar.

One thing about Alabama is that there are so many trees (state is 75% forest) that straight winds get diminished.
Terry, to your point, Lamar isn't along I-25 so my post was confusing. Lamar recorded the 107 mph but the tractor trailer I saw blown over was on I-25.

Lived in Colorado Springs for 15 years before moving back to OK 4 1/2 years ago. A few years in Castle Rock before then so pretty familiar with the area. Friends showed us the wind/snow storm that moved over Pikes Peak and the front range yesterday into COS - pretty amazing.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
My barrel smoker and a trash can half full of wood chips and charcoal were spread around my front yard when I got home last night. Does that count. :D

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wifey's sister called and said they were ordered home when the hardware store across the street lost its roof. Straight line winds were clocked at 90 MPH in downtown Hutch.

View attachment 240329

Radar as of 5:30 p.m.

I have been looking for news on this, nothing so far.
We had very strong winds that lasted all day west of Tulsa! I didn't hear any numbers on wind speed, but while I was in town, it suddenly stopped for a minute, and everyone fell down!

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Terry, to your point, Lamar isn't along I-25 so my post was confusing. Lamar recorded the 107 mph but the tractor trailer I saw blown over was on I-25.

Lived in Colorado Springs for 15 years before moving back to OK 4 1/2 years ago. A few years in Castle Rock before then so pretty familiar with the area. Friends showed us the wind/snow storm that moved over Pikes Peak and the front range yesterday into COS - pretty amazing.

It wasn't confusing to me. News media in Lamar might very well have reported about the semis.

We have vacationed for decades in Colorado, and when the wife and I retired in 2014, we moved out RV to the Colorado Springs area to be near her two sisters. One lived in CS and the other in Canon City. We lived in an RV park between the two cities for 20 months before moving on.

LOTS of beautiful country up there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom