I love being the 5th Owner of My Car

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im not a licensed used car dealer but my business partner is, my buying is just as an enthusiast that fixes them up and re-sells them but I try and keep the best ones I come across. We buy quite a few at auction and from individuals and I run into this about every 4th or 5th that I buy. Ive got a high end SUV right now that I bought last November to eventually resell that Ive been fixing little shite on all winter that was either only half assed diagnosed or repaired by the owner(s) before me or just stuff that comes up at 100k. Its finally turned into a pretty good truck and Im considering keeping it but gd I sure had a helluva time diagnosing and fixing some of the stuff- replaced a cracked exhaust manifold (getting to those bolts was a ***** by myself at 3am), sensors upon sensors as well as the oil and fuel pressure regulators, AC/heater outlet door gears, etc etc, all little stuff but it does add up.

Last edited:

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wasn't exactly my dream car but I owned a 1986 Camaro Berlinetta. Everything, including the instrument cluster was electronic. In 1986. Nothing worked, except the tachometer. Had to reach under the dash and put a fuse in to turn the windshield wipers on. Had no way to turn them off or adjust the speed. Combine all that with the lethargic 2.8L V6 and you have probably my worst car ever. At least it looked cool.

wow Deer. I hadn't thought about that car in awhile. That makes me fond of my mustang II...not. :scream:

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What a wiring nightmare! BTW, what's the purpose of that chrome-colored stalk sticking out of the lower right-hand corner of the dash?

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive had this car 4 years and its been broke down for 3 1/2 of those. I wanted one so bad I bought the first one I looked at. Should have done a few months worth of research and it would have saved me a ton of time and money. Im down to about 5 things left before its ready to tune...what you see in that first picture is my attempt at checking a problem off the list.

Here goes, maybe some of you mechanic types can help me out...Driving down the highway anywhere from 55-70 mph...not getting on it at all im talking 10-20 minutes of continuous problem free cruising then BAM the car dies. I can put it in neutral and it will start up and go back to cruising as if nothing happened. Never does it on the city streets I can drive around in town all day but like clockwork 10 minutes or so after I get on the highway. just dies. new battery and alternator, crank and cam sensors are good.

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

it just goes crazy for a second and loses all voltage and everything. All my grounds are good as well.

DrinkYourMilkshake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I'm assuming the signal drop out is the "event". What is causing the die off on voltage / speed etc just before signal loss? How long is it (I can't see time scale in the picture).

I can only think of the normal stuff that would cause it. Ignition issues (ignition module, distributor coil, etc), fuel pump.

EDIT:: Just realized the drop out in signal is probably where you are shutting down ignition and restarting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom