I think I want a .308 AR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Talk to me!
Mag issues, parts issues, availability.
Positives, negatives, anything at all!
I'm looking for Prob 200yd shooter with 16"-18" barrel.
I might spend around $1700.

Spata

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Talk to me!
Mag issues, parts issues, availability.
Positives, negatives, anything at all!
I'm looking for Prob 200yd shooter with 16"-18" barrel.
I might spend around $1700.

doooooo ITTTTTT

only issue i can think of is that some of them can be a little overgassed, but an adjustable gas block will fix that.

16-18" barrel will take you out to 800-1000yds.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a 308 AR. I did not care for it after I bought it. It was just like a big, bulky, heavy AR. I decided that my next 308 will be a bolt gun. I do know guys that have them and really like them. I would see if someone will let you shoot one, before you buy.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Or was that a subtle way of saying .308 AR's are functionally unreliable?
I already know the FAL is extremely reliable.
Why would I choose an M1A over a .308 AR? Or over my FAL's.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thought I wanted one too. So I traded for one with another member here. It was fun. Heavy. Expensive to shoot. Never had a single failure.

I discovered that if I wanted to shoot a semi, the 5.56 is more fun and typically it's at shorter distances. When I needed a round that large, I chose my deer rifle as it was unapologetically accurate at incredible ranges.

In the end, the 308 AR filled a need that didn't exist like I thought it did. The 'big AR' is good at shorter ranges where stability doesn't make the difference between 1" groups and 5" groups but at longer ranges wasn't as steady a platform as I like and I couldn't get it to group well enough for my liking. at short ranges muzzle rise was a problem for quick groups of shots like most people do with their 5.56 AR's.

I am sure if you throw enough money at the platform, you can solve these problems but it can be done better with other rifles. If you want a 308, go with the M1A - or at least shoot one before you make the choice.

IMHO, of course.

Latest posts

Top Bottom