If other Professional athletes & sports on TV worked the same way as "Pro" Hunters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Instead of seeing Brett Favre, Kevin Durant, Sidney Crosby, and the other best-of-the-best, most highly skilled athletes out there, competing hard nosed day in and day out against the other best players in the world, we'd see guys with interesting personalities and no athletic talent on our tee-vees and fields. We'd see someone like Sacha Baren Cohen (Borat, Bruno), parading into the endzone with the football while the defense simply moves out of the way to let him run by (or throw themselves at him and miss in a fake "tackle attempt"). We'd see Regis Philbin dribbling up and down the court and owning LeBron with a dunk, and racking up 50 points per game (of course, it would take some creative editing, camera angles, and such, but no problem there). We'd see the old man from Pawn Stars skating on a breakaway and lighting the lamp one on one against Brodeur (using a stunt body double for the skating action).

How is that different from watching Jeff Foxworthy and Blake Shelton take a trophy buck on giant private ranches, with huge feed plots, feeders, box blinds, years of careful management, and years on end of very very low hunting pressure? With them supposedly talking in a moderate whisper with the deer 10 yards away, just before the shot.

Conversely, if Hunters on the hunting shows were actually the pros - the best there is - they'd be crotchety old farts with little to no communication skills or visual appeal, who would go onto public land during ordinary gun season, and pull out the 6.5 year old, 220 lb, 180 class whitetail that no one else had even seen, and tell us how they did it.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The best hunters would be boring to watch, thats why. The best at the other sports mentioned are entertaining to watch, is a sport of motion and physical superiority.

Besides, the best hunters I know make hunting boring because they "hunt" the animal for months prior to season. They dont take guns, they track the animal and learn its habits, the areas that it frequents, its feeding habits. Then when season comes around they are in the woods for a couple hours max and come home with monsters year after year.

Thats boring, especially as a spectator.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dad was such a hunter. I'd swear he grew moss during the fall. I'd watch him hunt and never understood how he could sit stock still for hours, then kill a HUGE freaking buck like a hawk taking a mouse. Even he lost count of how many he killed. He never paid a dime in hunting leases. He killed them on private land he obtained permission on, public land and draw hunts. I couldn't hope to be as good as him, though I took my fair share.

I can't even watch these "hunting" shows on tv these days. That's not hunting in my mind. I've seen the real thing first hand. They're not the same. :(

DeerAssassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Deer hunting shows to real deer hunting is like the difference between watching the Big 12 Championship and me and my buddies playing football in my backyard. Ain't no comparison. Hunting shows should be about education, not "oh hey look at this big buck the guide brought me right to that I just killed!"

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What a lot of people don't understand is that 30 minute tv show is condensed from sitting several days or weeks in a blind. Every once in a while you will hear them mention how many days they had been going to that stand or blind before they got the shot.
Its not drive out to a blind at 10 am,
see 100 giant bucks, pop one and back at the lodge for lunch.
which is the idea people get watching the show.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What a lot of people don't understand is that 30 minute tv show is condensed from sitting several days or weeks in a blind. Every once in a while you will hear them mention how many days they had been going to that stand or blind before they got the shot.

exactly!
Its entertainment... I dont understand why people have to hate on hunt celebs so much. I watched Lee Lakosky say it was his 54th day in a row to hunt and he handnt pulled the trigger yet.
Would anyone want to watch Grandpa walk around the public woods and shoot the first spike he sees? No because its not entertaining. We watch these hunting celebs travel around for months at a time some actually hunting there butt off to see them kill monsters for the same reason we watch the NBA and not the european league.... Because its funner to watch.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

these are freebe hunts so the lodge can get some free air time.

Mark Munkres

Marksman
Reaction score
You can't compare hunting to professional sports. I could kill a world record deer if I were just in the right place at the right time, but there is no way I could ever do what Kevin Durant does on the basketball court. When I do watch a hunting show, I never say, "Hey, this dude is a great hunter. He really has the skills." I just watch to see the deer. Their success is largely due to how good the land is they are hunting on.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to say that I don't watch The Outdoor Channel much, but I've had some free time this morning so I turned it on. I believe the shows that was playing was Buck Commander with Chipper Jones? I have to say these guys just seems like fools following someone else's lead. Face paint? Seriously?

Latest posts

Top Bottom