If you were in charge of OK deer season...........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
..........how would you run it? Quotas, methods, dates......etc. Don't complain about somebody's ideas, until you post up your own proposal. :)

1. 5 deer limit, of which only one can be antlered.
2. Definition of antlered, if there is exposed bone visible above the hair.
3. All antlerless can be taken with a ML if one chooses during the ML season.
4. 9 day rifle season starts on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.
5. Antlerless zones to be simplified into four areas, NW, SW NE and SE.
6. Holiday doe season open in all zones.
7. Primitive (no inlines) doe season to run from Jan. 10- Jan. 15th.
8. No .223 mag restrictions.
9. Nonresident, who does not own land in OK, is only eligible for an OK nonresident tag every 3 years. Nonresident, landowners and their immediate family are not subject to this rule.
10. Loss of hunting licence or the ability to gain a hunting license in the state of OK if caught poaching a deer at night, or out of season on first offense if proven guilty.
11. Archery to run from 10/1 through 1/15 as is now.

I'm sure there's more, but that's the two minute version of things that come to mind. Let's hear it! :)

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
..........how would you run it? Quotas, methods, dates......etc. Don't complain about somebody's ideas, until you post up your own proposal. :)

9. Nonresident, who does not own land in OK, is only eligible for an OK nonresident tag every 3 years. Nonresident, landowners and their immediate family are not subject to this rule.
10. Loss of hunting licence or the ability to gain a hunting license in the state of OK if caught poaching a deer at night, or out of season on first offense if proven guilty.

I'm sure there's more, but that's the two minute version of things that come to mind. Let's hear it! :)

Very solid recommendations only real difference of option with the above is I would like to see you have to tag two antlerless deer before you can use or be issued an antlered tag especially during archery season. But fairs fair so make it across the board.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Rifle season needs to 2 to 3 months just like Texas, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia Ect. This two week **** is for the birds!

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

Like these recommendations a lot - gun season needs to me MUCH longer. I do not, however agree with 7stw's idea of requiring two does taken before an antlered tag is issued. It would only breed waste. Kill two tiny does in order to get your buck tag because that's what's required. No reason to make trophy hunters jump through hoops like that. (and I'm not a trophy hunter)

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Nice save….:thumb:

The ODWC really likes the guy that spends almost a grand to kill 3 deer a year and maybe a turkey.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Every three years would help tremendously with leases and the price of leases IMO.

Unfortunately, the guys paying stupid lease prices around my place are rich Okies, but I agree that leases have gotten out of hand. It's the same here in east Texas.

By spending a grand, I actually meant on licenses not leases.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rifle season needs to 2 to 3 months just like Texas, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia Ect. This two week **** is for the birds!

Like these recommendations a lot - gun season needs to me MUCH longer. I do not, however agree with 7stw's idea of requiring two does taken before an antlered tag is issued. It would only breed waste. Kill two tiny does in order to get your buck tag because that's what's required. No reason to make trophy hunters jump through hoops like that. (and I'm not a trophy hunter)

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you both. Rifle season is plenty long enough already (I primarily gun hunt) with the openness of the terrain in a large part of the state if it where longer your harvest numbers would be way higher. And tran Arkansas's season is less than a month long. Used to be 15 days. Their population numbers are way higher than oklahomas and those states with liberal season dates are encouraging large harvests. Oklahoma doesn't have the deer density of those states so we couldn't support the additional length of the season. Furthermore the trophy quality and age structure are better in Oklahoma. And aviator if we want trophy deer consistently our buck to doe ratio needs to be kept in check. The state needs to do something to encourage more doe harvests. Perhaps a doe only rifle season in early to mid October before the rut and when yearling size is easily discern able from the does. Just my observations. Those southeastern states with long gun seasons love out of state hunters and have lots of acres of public land available for our enjoyment (exception Texas ) and there's also western states that have otc /general areas for both whitetail and mulies and agin millions of acres of public land for our enjoyment. If nine days isn't enough time to get out and enjoy our states rifle season.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
i like the idea of a primitive season. i'll make a few guys mad by saying that inlines and smokeless mz's should have their own season or even lumped into rifle season...flame suit donned...

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i like the idea of a primitive season. i'll make a few guys mad by saying that inlines and smokeless mz's should have their own season or even lumped into rifle season...flame suit donned...

I shoot a smokeless inline, but I'm all for a true primitive season. Gives me an excuse to buy a new toy...:thumb:

Many folks don't like them, but I'm all for antler restrictions. In Texas, it's requires a buck have a 13" inside spread.

Latest posts

Top Bottom