IMR 4320 and the 6.5x55 round

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milsurp2.0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone else use IMR 4320? I've reloaded for years with it in the 8mm mauser and the 7.7 Arisaka and never had a problem. Recently got a M96 swede and loaded up 3 rounds with 39 grains of 4320 under a 139 grain soft point and had severe sticky bolt. Primers were flatter than I cared for. I checked headspace and checked for lug set back. Seems the IMR 4320 is prone to pressure spikes in bullets with a lot of surface area. I've looked around on the net and found a few instances of other people experiencing these pressure spikes. Strange. Just thought I would pass this on even though 4320 seems to be going the way of the dodo bird.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=318262

I bought 8 LBs of IMR4320 a few years back and called Sierra concerning loads.
The first thing he told me was one of the staff just blew up a 96 Swede with IMR 4320 using the starting load.
No BS, I recommend what Sierra recommended.
Do not use IMR4320 in a 6.5 Swede load.

That does not mean it is not useful in other calibers however, I sold the powder as it seems sensitive and unforgiving when its boundaries are approached where as powders like 4895 are so forgiving.

IMO (and Sierra's)

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As much as I love the 6.5x55 (got another Swede on the way) I have not reloaded for it yet so I don't have any input on powders. MoBoost is very familiar with reloading for the Swede so I suspect he'll be along to offer his input. I do know that Reloader 22 was\is popular for the Swede and I have a pound of it around here for that purpose.

Latest posts

Top Bottom