• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

IMR4064

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
My cousin has an 8 lb jug of Varget and he doesn't reload. The SOB keeps teasing me with what do I want to trade for it. He also has about 10K rounds of .22 RF and doesn't own a.22.
He owns one rifle, which is a .22-250 and a .45 pistol.
Buys that stuff to resell. He won't take my cash and I don't pay stupid.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Forget Varget.
Yea you will find excellent loads with it.
But you will go out another day when the temps are 40 degrees different and the group size will not be the same and you will chase your tail wondering what happened.

It may have the same velocity through a chrony but group size will not be the same.

That is what Varget did for me in my .243, .308, .223 and 30-06.
I get the same accuracy with IMR 4064 and groups stay tight when temps change.

I had 3 different lots of Varget in 8 lb jugs 2 shot the same size groups with the same load and the last lot was horrible.
Had to rework the loads.
But that is what happens when a lot number changes in most powders.

If you get 1 lb and get a load and run out and get a different lot number all I can say is I wish you the best of luck.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Forget Varget.
Yea you will find excellent loads with it.
But you will go out another day when the temps are 40 degrees different and the group size will not be the same and you will chase your tail wondering what happened.

It may have the same velocity through a chrony but group size will not be the same.

That is what Varget did for me in my .243, .308, .223 and 30-06.
I get the same accuracy with IMR 4064 and groups stay tight when temps change.

I had 3 different lots of Varget in 8 lb jugs 2 shot the same size groups with the same load and the last lot was horrible.
Had to rework the loads.
But that is what happens when a lot number changes in most powders.

If you get 1 lb and get a load and run out and get a different lot number all I can say is I wish you the best of luck.
I've read you issues with varget for a long time. Most of my varget loads were used in .223 for match loads at close ranges where pinpoint accuracy wasn't an issue. Hit the target center mass and move on.
It's advertised as being not temperature sensitive, but I've not tested it that way.
I did find a load that was totally accurate in ONE AR that I use for hunting using Sierra 55 grain BT soft points. Those are sequestered in the ammo bunker (file cabinet) to be used only during deer season or for varmint hunting.
The lead tips get bumped and flattened a tad when in the magazine after multiple shots but it doesn't seem to matter out to 250 yds which is the furthest shot taken successfully. I don't shoot game beyond that although I can ring the small gong at 300 at the range all day long.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I hope others do not encounter my problems with Varget.
My issue may not be velocity related as I did not check velocity I just checked accuracy and 17 degrees and frost on the shooting table
vs 55 degrees and my load was no longer accurate.
Then jump to 95+ and the new 55 degree load fell apart.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Rating - 98.7%
77   1   0
I hope others do not encounter my problems with Varget.
My issue may not be velocity related as I did not check velocity I just checked accuracy and 17 degrees and frost on the shooting table
vs 55 degrees and my load was no longer accurate.
Then jump to 95+ and the new 55 degree load fell apart.

what kind of rifle you shooting

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Wishing I would have bought two last night when i placed an order.

You are making me feel like a hoarder when you speak of 2 lbs of powder.
Are you not planning on shooting very much?

Make a load to hit vitals and mothball the rifle until deer season and fire 1 shot and done for the year.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Rating - 98.7%
77   1   0
You are making me feel like a hoarder when you speak of 2 lbs of powder.
Are you not planning on shooting very much?

Make a load to hit vitals and mothball the rifle until deer season and fire 1 shot and done for the year.

intentions were to just test it out and see how it shoots. But yes I plan on shooting this rifle a lot. This won’t be a deer hunting rifle technically.

Latest posts

Top Bottom