Interesting coyote/deer info

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was reading my latest issure of Outdoor life, and came across an article that gave some interesting facts about coyotes, bobcats and deer when it came to fawn survival.

We all know their main diet is small rodents, but if the pickings are slim, whitetail fawns are easy prey.
A study in SC found that 7 out of 10 whitetail fawns born in the spring were dead before the fall. Coyotes were responsible for a staggering 82 percent of the fawn mortality.
Researchers in NE Alabama trapped 22 coyotes and 10 bobcats prior to whitetail fawning.
Fawn survival jumped by 193 to 256 percent in subsequent years.
A similar predator removal in Georgia saw two fawns recruited for every three does in the removal zone. Meanwhile, it took 28 does to recruit the same number of fawns in the zone where coyotes and bobcats went untrapped.

Very interesting in my opinion.
If one ever got into a discussion with a non-hunter about the merits of predator hunting, this would be a good point to make in favor of hunting the hunters.

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read similiar info in a buckmaster on coyotes/bobcats feasting on the babies. After reading this I ran across randy anderson dvd and he said go a little deeper sound, and longer note, this makes a fawn bawl noise, if you have a good open reed call. I use the green colored hand call out of my primos little dog. I got a yote to come in for a buddy on mine using a fawn bawl shortly after practicing.

Hope ya get to feeling better

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Watched 3 coyotes wear out and take down a fairly decent 2.5yo 8pt that was wounded at the end of rifle season. So I'm thinking a fawn should be a fairly easy meal like the information you read suggests.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A couple old hunters watched a single coyotee chasing a big buck after the deer gun season. the yote chased the buck into the thick brush and they heard them traveling through the woods and waited and watched then out came the buck running and panting,,,almost circling the 2 older hunters , then out came the coyotee,,,chasing the deer, he did not chase any more deer ,,he was filled with lead.....
One of the hunters told me the buck slowed to a walk then stood there looking at the hunters , and it was as if he was saying thank you for killing that sucker,,and then the buck walked off into the woods..

This was in love county they were there looking for hogs...I counted 3 dead hogs last november and never heard so many coyotees
i have some good loads worked up for my 308 and 30-06 and plan on using them on some coyotees this year..
I have never had to hunt so hard to fill my deer tags..

kh496f

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
A couple old hunters watched a single coyotee chasing a big buck after the deer gun season. the yote chased the buck into the thick brush and they heard them traveling through the woods and waited and watched then out came the buck running and panting,,,almost circling the 2 older hunters , then out came the coyotee,,,chasing the deer, he did not chase any more deer ,,he was filled with lead.....
One of the hunters told me the buck slowed to a walk then stood there looking at the hunters , and it was as if he was saying thank you for killing that sucker,,and then the buck walked off into the woods..

This was in love county they were there looking for hogs...I counted 3 dead hogs last november and never heard so many coyotees
i have some good loads worked up for my 308 and 30-06 and plan on using them on some coyotees this year..
I have never had to hunt so hard to fill my deer tags..

Cool story swampratt... Have you been fishing out at thunderbird or webbers lately? recognized ur name from catfish1

Ken

Latest posts

Top Bottom