Introducing the wife to .22 rifles…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Banned
Reaction score
This coming spring or summer I want to introduce my wife to a scoped .22 rifle. She’s shot plenty of pistols and basically claimed my Glock 44 but I think she would really enjoy a .22 rifle being able to shoot something from a distance. I’m leaning towards a bolt action but I’m just not sure what to get. I was kinda thinking maybe the Ruger American Rimfire so if she wanted a center fire caliber then we could upgrade to the Ruger American later and she would still be familiar since they are the same thing basically.

I would let her shoot my .22 rifle but I’m embarrassed to say that I don’t even own one! Maybe I need to get His and Hers matching rifles. Hmmmm.

Last edited:

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As far as new 22 rifles go I'm hard pressed to make a recommendation. I will say that a wood stocked 10/22 would give you a good practical platform with lots of upgrade options but something like a basic Henry H001 lever could add a bit of "fun" factor. Beyond that, hit the pawn shops and find a nice, pre-Remington, Marlin/Glenfield Model 60 or or 70.

I can't comment on the Ruger American 22s but I have the Ruger American Predator in .223 and I'm quite pleased with it.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think your Ruger American idea is a good idea. I dunno about the rimfire, but I do like my Ruger American ranch quite a bit.

just be careful, this is a slippery slope. Had just a 10/22 for years, recently decided to get my CZ457, and now I all of a sudden have 6 22lr rifles.

If you’re looking for other rifle suggestions, Im a huge fan of my CZ’s, the newer 455s and 457s have a good aftermarket and the quick swap barrels allow you to swap barrels/magazines between 22lr, 22mag, 17HMR, and 17mach2 with just a few screws. It’s a lot cheaper than buying a new rifle and filling out a new 4473 each time you want a different rimfire caliber. They sell extra mags and barrels on the CZUSA website. Shipping/availability can be slow, but you can still get stuff. A lot more than I can say about other online retailers/manufacturers recently.

and if you want a scope that won’t break the bank, this is the ticket. I like it so much I bought a second one. Best thing since sliced bread for a 22. The price is really nice too, and primary arms gives cash off for signing up for email updates. Primary Arms Classic Series 6x32mm Rifle Scope - ACSS-22LR

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't say that I dislike any of my .22 rifles. However, these would be my favorites --- at least for now....

S&W M&P 15-22 Sport. Same controls as an AR.

Winchester Wildcat. Uses common Ruger 10-22 magazines.

Ruger 10-22 with an M1 style conversion stock. Just looks cool!

Good luck with your choice!

:thumb:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't say that I dislike any of my .22 rifles. However, these would be my favorites --- at least for now....

S&W M&P 15-22 Sport. Same controls as an AR.

Winchester Wildcat. Uses common Ruger 10-22 magazines.

Ruger 10-22 with an M1 style conversion stock. Just looks cool!

Good luck with your choice!

:thumb:
I’ve been awful tempted to pick up one of those wildcats. Not having to buy a mess of magazines for a new platform is a really nice deal.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think your Ruger American idea is a good idea. I dunno about the rimfire, but I do like my Ruger American ranch quite a bit.

just be careful, this is a slippery slope. Had just a 10/22 for years, recently decided to get my CZ457, and now I all of a sudden have 6 22lr rifles.

If you’re looking for other rifle suggestions, Im a huge fan of my CZ’s, the newer 455s and 457s have a good aftermarket and the quick swap barrels allow you to swap barrels/magazines between 22lr, 22mag, 17HMR, and 17mach2 with just a few screws. It’s a lot cheaper than buying a new rifle and filling out a new 4473 each time you want a different rimfire caliber. They sell extra mags and barrels on the CZUSA website. Shipping/availability can be slow, but you can still get stuff. A lot more than I can say about other online retailers/manufacturers recently.

and if you want a scope that won’t break the bank, this is the ticket. I like it so much I bought a second one. Best thing since sliced bread for a 22. The price is really nice too, and primary arms gives cash off for signing up for email updates. Primary Arms Classic Series 6x32mm Rifle Scope - ACSS-22LR

Just 6?

those-are-rookie-numbers.jpg

I think I'm up to... um... I lost count around 30.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom