Ireland and England - Been there? Places you enjoyed visiting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBSATS

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you set on Europe?
Been to Germany twice in my life. Once as a kid when my dad was stationed there. And once for a visit with my daughter and grandson when her husband was stationed there. Both times were in the same location... Kuez Werthime. It's never Frankfort. Beautiful, peaceful, great foods.
My other favorite places are Okinawa, and Thailand.

twocan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Please help me make travel decisions. Sound off on your favorite places if you enjoyed visiting Ireland, Nothern Ireland or England.

So many places to see and things to do and not enough time to do it all. We've only got about 8 days, no real budget in mind.

Some places considered:

London Eye
Tower of London
Stonehenge
Blarney Castle (blarney stone)
Guinness Dublin
Jameson Dublin
Titanic museum Belfast

The wife and I went this past June. Rented a car and drove the whole island even drove up to Belfast. (Get the cross border pass for the car) I had more fish and chips than i had beer and that's a lot! I'm not a dark beer fan but most places will have regular Coors on tap. Don't forget the Harley shops for a T shirt in Dublin and Belfast.
Be ready to hear a John Denver song 20 times a day.
Guinness was packed so buy tour tickets in advance.
Brazen Head Pub & Temple bar In Dublin.
Kilkenny castle & St. Marys Medieval Mile Museum
Jameson in Midleton is a must tour. We stayed in Cork and went to Jameson early to beat the lines. We had the first tour all to ourselves.
Blarney Castle was cool.
Drive the Ring of Kerry
Cliffs of Moher... Have your walking shoes on!
Moran's Oyster Cottage (If not to far out of the way)
Titanic Museum
St Georges Market

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Bovington tank museum is down in the same general area as Stonehenge. It is fantastic! Stonehenge, outside of great amount of history is just out in the middle of a field not much around it. Buddy of mine lives about 20 minutes away from it. If you just want to see it and not pay to walk near it there are several roads that are withing 2-300 meters away. That you can park briefly on

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Please help me make travel decisions. Sound off on your favorite places if you enjoyed visiting Ireland, Nothern Ireland or England.

So many places to see and things to do and not enough time to do it all. We've only got about 8 days, no real budget in mind.

Some places considered:

London Eye
Tower of London
Stonehenge
Blarney Castle (blarney stone)
Guinness Dublin
Jameson Dublin
Titanic museum Belfast
we have been fortunate to go to europe many times - some tours, some independent and some cruises
look at Globus Tours - they are a very good tour outfit and use them for the full pkg w/flights - that way you will be most assured all parts fit together
you will be surprised how reasonable - look at Italy = Rome and Venice = 1wk if you really want a "WOW Look at all these photos" to come home with -- there are other great trips/tours but these will knock your sox off and I think you might find WAY more memorable than all the things on your list together
https://www.globusjourneys.com/tour...t=vertical&limit=12&page=0&sort=length_tl=asc

Last edited:

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you set on Europe?

There are six of us going, so we have to come to a group consensus. Some of us are retired and some are not., so there are time constraints for the worker bees. We went to Paris and Normandy area last year. Loved the trains! Paris kind of sucked at times due to the grown-up children protesting the change of retirement age to 65 (poor souls). Caused us to miss our late evening dinner at the Eiffel Tower because protesters forced it closed down. This year it's gonna be England and Ireland (and most likely Belfast).

busterheiney

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been to both countries. My experience is that if you're wanting to see cool sites, hit London. The Tower of London (not really a tower, but a fortress) is amazing. They have an armory of old weapons and actual suits of armor that is lots of fun to see. The Crown Jewels are right there, too. The Roman Baths are a great site to hit. London eye is cool. Stonehenge is neat to see, but probably not worth wasting a day driving just to see it. It's literally what you see on the Internet and not much more. Several castles and cathedrals to see if you're interested in that, too.

We stayed on the southern side of Ireland near Cork. Kissed the Blarney stone and saw several old castles. Ireland was a different experience than England. We rented a car and did a road trip through the countryside. Stayed at b&B's, and ate at small pubs. I probably enjoyed that experience more than England because I got to see the local culture outside of the big city. Part of our group toured the Jameson Distillery. My group toured the Waterford Crystal factory and got to see how they made everything.

Never had a bad experience with the people in either country. All were super friendly, especially in the small pubs. Pro-tip: Bring several $1 bills to give to the people you talk with, especially the kids. Foreign currency is as fun to them as it is to us.

W150

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely the Tower and take the Yeoman Warder tour.
The Arms and Armour museum is in Leeds.
St Paul's Cathedral
Imperial War Museum
All the other Museums in London.
Stone Henge is just Okay but Bath is nice.
Some of the estate tours are nice. Interesting seeing how the other one percent lived.
Just so many things to do and never enough time. Not on your list but I like Scotland.

Latest posts

Top Bottom