Is the NRA or the GoA the better defender of the Second Amendment?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flybeech

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm a member of both the National Rifle Association and the Gun Owners of America, but have serious reservations over the NRA. We can all 'thank' the NRA for their support and involvement with the National Firearms Act of 1934 and the Gun Control Act of 1968. There are numerous other examples of the NRA selling the Second Amendment down the river.

I cannot find ANY examples of the Gun Owners of America assisting in legislation that has the impact of the NFA of 1934 and the GCA of 1968, though the GoA has only a small fraction of the membership of the NRA.

Is the NRA really a defender of the Second Amendment?

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The GOA is definitely more consistent in its support for the RKBA, and doesn't espouse governmental expansion in other areas of our lives nearly as frequently, like with this latest NRA press release about federally mandated guards in every school... but then again the NRA is many times larger and more well funded, so if your benchmark is how effective each has been in actually keeping gun control laws from being passed, I would say the prize goes to the NRA. But the GOA definitely sources stronger statements of our rights, and makes more effective arguments about the importance of the RKBA.

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think if the NRA LOST members right now, we would lose recognition of our rights to own semi-autos.
If it GAINED enough members, we would keep that right. so if you would like ot continue to be able to own semi-autos, my sincere recommendation would be to join the NRA.
Blaming an organization's current officers for what happened 40 years ago does not make sense. that was a different time with different officers and politicians. The CURRENT values of the organization are reflected by its CURRENT officers.
I am comfortable with Wayne LA Pierre and the fear he strikes in the heart of politicians and those who would try to disarm us. He seems to be a good political operator and have good values.
I am quite comfortable belonging to the NRA, and will be joining the GOA and the 2aF within the week.
:)

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The MORE dogs that we have in the hunt, the better off we are. It kind of makes me think of a story where two guys are on shore watching a guy drowning in the water. They start arguing as to which one of them is the better swimmer and is better able to save the drowning guys life. They keep arguing, arguing and arguing until a third guy walks up and tells them that the guy in the water has already drowned. Lets secure our 2nd Amendment Rights first and THEN decide who did the better J-O-B! All this arguing, as to who is doing a better job, only BENEFITS the gun grabbing/hating anti-2nd Amendment lib democrats IMHO.

DirtyDawg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We can all thank the Negotiated Rights Association for all of the "sensible" gun control laws that are currently in place. The NRA authored most of them.

I stand with the GOA; the only organization that does NOT compromise on the 2nd Amendment.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
NRA, hands down, has had more actual impact when you consider sheer numbers of members and $$ in the game. The GOA turns a lot of people off with their misleading and inflammatory press releases...and the banner on their webpage "The only no-compromise gun lobby in Washington" is divisive and petty. The NRA and GOA should be joining forces and figuring this sh$t out.

That being said, they are both getting my money these days.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
NRA is the big dog, for sure. GOA being all "no compromise" is finer and all, but you end up with the perfect being the enemy of the good and all. Also, Larry Pratt occasionally says some off the wall stuff.

Of course, Wayne just tried to blame video games for violence in our culture.

Latest posts

Top Bottom