It's A Great Time To Be A Gun Owner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While talking firearms issues recently with some coworkers that are relativley new shooters, it dawned on me that this is really the best time I can remember for gun owners. I'm 42 and have been around guns my whole life. Been heavy into them since I was 21. So after some reflection on the last 20 years I realized that we are actually in a very good time. What really got me thinking is I'm hearing all of the same rumors and scares that I've heard for years. Like the 10,000% tax on ammo. Life limited primers. Military being trained to go door to door confiscating. Don't get me wrong, I know there are legislators that push these things and they can't be dismissed but look at the positive inroads that have been made.

I bought a Glock 19 in 1991 for $475. You can walk in a dozen stores today and buy them for what? $475. Remember $100 Glock magazines after the high capacity limitation in mid-90s? Now $20-25.

Primer scare of '94? Yep, I still have some I bought then for $35. Butler Creek 10/22 mags for $60? They're everywhere again for $20.

I would have never believed 15 years ago that we would have open carry. Agree with it or not. Open carry or not. This still has to be a positive advancement for gun owners. I have to laugh at all of the controversy over it because it's the same controversy raised for CCW.

Suppressors legal for big game hunting this year? Wow. How many people did you know 10 years ago that owned one legally? Now look at how many firearms manufacturers have new models with threaded muzzles.

So many guns and accessories that were scarce or taboo are now in abundance. Wal-Mart carries 4 different AR-15! And Blackhawk accs. for them.

And think about the publics attitude. I can't count the number of personal acquaintances that never owned a gun but are now taking CCW classes. Everyday I have friends new to shooting asking questions and making purchases. Heck, in the last 6 mos. I've taken 4 different female friends to the range to introduce them to shooting. All have taken their CCW courses and bought personal guns. You may not convert a gun hater but a lot that were sitting on the fence have stepped over to our side.

No doubt the threats to gun ownership are real and will continue but in recent years we have gained ground instead of losing it.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good post. I also bought my first Glock around 91. All of my friends made fun of it. lol. After a year or so of shooting it, they all had Glocks. I wish I still had that old thing.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great post keep it positive, I didn't get into them until I moved here 20 years ago & a coworker showed me the light(or as my wife says corrupted me!!)

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How many people did you know that had one illegally?

Back in the day, the only legal owners I knew were "privileged" with money and connections to obtain a suppressor legally. And they were few and far between. I did know guys that had manufactured their own but had to keep them under wraps more than the JFK assassination. That was a realm that I never dabbled in because, like full auto weapons, I always said I can't afford it legally and damn sure can't afford it illegally. Nowadays, though, suppressor license and purchase is much more accepted and within reach of the common man.

Latest posts

Top Bottom