June Practical Rifle Match

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most guys run an ar or ak. You can run any semi auto rifle you have. You will need 2 magazines for the rifle. 20 or more rounds per mag is ideal, however I have seen an m1 garand used. any semi auto pistol or even revolver if your speedy with the reloads. Most guys use Glocks, xd's, M&P's, 1911's, Sig's and so on. You will probably want 2 mags for the pistol as well. Most of rifle shots are inside of 25 yds, but I spoke with Dave the match director the other day and there may be a 50yd. stage this next month. There will be shooting from behind cover, shooting on the move, possibly some moving targets, and usually 2 of the 5 stages you will transition from the rifle to the pistol. A holster for the pistol is a good idea, but not necessary. You can stage the pistol on a table set up for that purpose if you don't have a holster. Fancy chest rigs are not at all required. Some guys have them and wear them but lots of guys just stick there extra rifle mags in their back pocket, myself included. The round count is usually about 75 rifle and 25 pistol. I would always bring a few extras though just in case. The whole match takes about 3.5 hrs to shoot. I hope this answers all your questions. If not ask more and I will try to answer them as best I can, also if you do a search in this forum for past threads about the practical rifle match some guys have posted pictures and videos of the stages.

Also open sights are in a different class than say eotechs or aimpoints, and I think there is another class for magnified optics as well.

And also most of the guys are weekend warriors and not swat, spec ops, or operating in anyones' theatre so everybody will fit in even if it's your first time. Come out and have fun.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've done a couple 3 gun matches out at Arcadia and this sounds pretty close to those except of course without the shotgun.
I think I'm off that day so I'll try to make it out there and see how I do.
I just finished 26th out of 42 shooters at Sundays 3-gun (I came straight from working a 12 hour nightshift and was a little tired to say the least)

I'll be running a AR (green billet lower, black upper) with an Aimpoint clone and a Beretta 92fs so If you see me out there, come say hi.

Latest posts

Top Bottom