K98k's and politics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an Israeli K98k chambered in 7.62. On one side it has the Nazi Eagle waffenstamps, and on the other it has a very crude Star of David. The receiver was manufactured in Berlin in 1938, so I know it had to see some action in Poland against the Poles, French and Brits. It has possibly shot at Americans, French, British, Polish, Soviets, Egyptians, Syrians, Iraqis, Arabs and at some point even Nazis.

So, what's the problem? It's a gun. It's history. Mine has seen at least two wars, for sure. The souls of it's slain do not reside in it's steel and wood. No evil spirits come out of it when I fire. I don't feel the overwhelming desire to murder kittens by the bag full when I fondle it. It's an inanimate object with markings that prove its history and I enjoy owning it.

The souls of its slain, probably not. But with a K98, like ANY of my surplus firearms, I have to wonder about the folks that used it, cleaned it, gripped its stock tightly and closed their eyes, enduring the circumstances of their time. My Garand was made in '42, I picked it out of many at the CMP, because I wanted a wartime Garand. I have a 1937 K98 with Weimar eagles and Nazi proofs on it. Think it has seen some history? I'd be willing to bet it was used by some 18 year old kid, fighting for his country, probably used by several soldiers before the end of the war. I wish it, my Garand, my M-39 could all talk.
I've got a 91/30 also, hardly used, only dropped once.

milsurp2.0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As with any rifle it's all about condition. Nazi markings dont mean jack if the serial numbers don't match. An all original wartime Garand is worth more than an original wartime K98k. Unless its some early prewar code K98 with original sling, rod, and stock not messed with at all. But then it won't have the nazi markings some people are supposedly so hung up on.Also a Garand may not hold as much value as a G43 and surely not as much as a Japanese Garand copy.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As with any rifle it's all about condition. Nazi markings dont mean jack if the serial numbers don't match. An all original wartime Garand is worth more than an original wartime K98k. Unless its some early prewar code K98 with original sling, rod, and stock not messed with at all. But then it won't have the nazi markings some people are supposedly so hung up on.Also a Garand may not hold as much value as a G43 and surely not as much as a Japanese Garand copy.

That's a fact! The K98 grandpa or uncle brought back at the end of the war is worth waaayy more than a "Mitchell's" or a Russian rework. The crying shame is when you see that vet bringback with a peep sight or scope installed on an otherwise "as-issued" rifle.
"to Hell and Back" (the book) even speaks of an Okie who is going to bring back a 98 for deer hunting....

1989outlaw

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My bride is of German decent plus I own a very sweet German Shepard . I have got to get rid of both of them because this thread is making me lose sleep. I may never be the same after being involved with these beings that most likely may have hade a nazi around their ancestors 70 yrs ago . I am also going to take a hammer to my p38 and my 98k cause they both have a bird on them . I didnt realize it but i gotta get rid of my drill press too . My kids mother was half German too. but we got divorced so I am all good there.But now that makes my boys both Quarter German I dont know what Im gonna do there . I am very confused and morally bankrupt .

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you're really concerned about the dog and the guns, bring 'em to my house. My German Shepherd (not named Blondie) will love the company. As for the guns, I will care for them as if they were my very own, only feeding them the best 8 and 9mm ammo, cleaning their aged bores, letting them rest peacefully in the safe with the other K98s, bayonets, buckles, ammo pouches that have been in hiding for so many years. It'll be like a family reunion!

As for your family - watch 'em close, they may invent something!

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My bride is of German decent plus I own a very sweet German Shepard . I have got to get rid of both of them because this thread is making me lose sleep. I may never be the same after being involved with these beings that most likely may have hade a nazi around their ancestors 70 yrs ago . I am also going to take a hammer to my p38 and my 98k cause they both have a bird on them . I didnt realize it but i gotta get rid of my drill press too . My kids mother was half German too. but we got divorced so I am all good there.But now that makes my boys both Quarter German I dont know what Im gonna do there . I am very confused and morally bankrupt .

Yup, this is exactly what gets under my skin.
I understand the post is meant to be joke. Saying Nazi=German=Hate goes right along with Nazi ideology - ideology of national/race/ethnic hate that I see as evil.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
well, if nothing else, i did get some gun and war-time history lessons. thank you for that. personally, i have enjoyed reading it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom