Kerry: Air conditioners as big a threat as ISIS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mkokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
410a in AC units and R134 refrigerant works okay. It will be a few until patents run out and we will get something else. Politics.

We will still have AC and refrigerators
They already have new systems in place for the upcoming years, R134 is on its last legs right now, there are some replacements already in the works, some are quite interesting

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've hadn't heard about to much outcry about 134a but I tend to stay out of the refrigeration and reefers. Been a few years., try and do what I'm good at now. I'll look into it. You peaked my interest

Mkokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went to parts store and bought 134 for my daughters car a couple months ago. When they ask for an EPA card it's coming. I wasn't asked for mine.
Got my recertification last year for A/C work, can not remember the details, but, and I've had a couple of drinks since then, one was hydrogen based and another I can't remember the specs on, they are still in the works, but 134a is on its way out, just makes me think, all the old timers I know that worked on cars back in the day that had R-12, they raved about it, and hated 134, wonder what's next...

Mkokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hydrogen is highly explosive. Same as the NG of old, and the ammonia was deadly as well.
How is hydrogen going to work?
That was the exact question we had for our instructor when we were going over the text books, internal combustion engine and a hydrogen based refrigerant? How does that data add up, even one leak of refrigerant and a smoker in their car, didn't spell good news to us

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right on. I've got a universal certification whatever that means by today's standards. Good job. The test 20 years ago was more about dates and bs than anything. I can buy anything I want

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That was the exact question we had for our instructor when we were going over the text books, internal combustion engine and a hydrogen based refrigerant? How does that data add up, even one leak of refrigerant and a smoker in their car, didn't spell good news to us
Here is a link of the fundamentals of hydrogen auto-ignition
http://www.hysafe.org/science/eAcademy/docs/3rdesshs/presentations/ESSHS2008HayashiK.pdf

We used hydrogen to cool our turbines in the coal burner power plant. There were so many safeties involved that if it ignited in the turbine housing the control room got alarms except in one place. The instrument cabinet where I worked had no safeties. Basically open the door, shoot a stream of soapy water all over everything and look for bubbles. Scary.

Latest posts

Top Bottom