Keystone Pipeline leaks nearly 17,000 gallons of oil in South Dakota

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It happens, if you don't like it, boycott oil... Or shut up

I'm boycotting oil! only solar and wind powered vehicles for me!

www.toledoblade.com_image_2015_10_21_670x_b1_a4_3_cCM_z_Japan_Back_To_The_Future_Day.jpg

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oil sucks. We should outlaw it.
Coal too.
Tires too.
Fertilizer too.
textiles too.
and the story goes on. Good Grief. What stupid crap the news organizations are putting out on the side of the liberal agenda.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Next thing you know they'll be genetically modifying organisms and injecting them into people to save them from cancer and other diseases. Terrible!

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In case you were wondering, US standard is 42 gallons is an oil barrel. I thought it was 55, but I guess not.

http://aoghs.org/news/history-of-the-42-gallon-oil-barrel/

More than you ever wanted to know about oilfield barrels.

I agree with the comment that people understand gallons. I also agree that 17,000 seems more horrific than 400 .

Steel pipe has two enemies, corrosion and mechanical damage. Corrosion is unlikely from inside out on an oil pipeline IMO and it has a coating on the outside that's pretty resistant. It also eventually wears out.

Some of the pipeline guys can probably tell more about how pipelines are inspected and maintained than I know.

It will be interesting to see what the damage is and what happened.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pipelines are also given an electrical charge to prevent corrosion. An external DC electrical power source is used to provide sufficient current for cathodic protection.

Latest posts

Top Bottom