Knife Bill on the President's desk?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Same as any other mala prohibita law. At some point, switchblades came into favor with criminals and thugs. Scared, yellow bellied, whining sheep cried to their politicians, who saw an opportunity to win political points by pretending to be tough on crime, when in fact they were not.

Never mind that using any knife on another person while not in the act of self-defense is a crime, let's ban the tool! Tards. :(

This.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
http://www.kniferights.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=98&Itemid=1

I haven't heard definite word that his bill was signed into law, but not sure why Obama would veto it, either.

From your link

The President signed into law the FY2010 Homeland Security Appropriations Bill on October 28, 2009, protecting our pocket knives.

Man this crap gets confusing.

This is the language that just pased -
SEC. 562. Section 4 of the Act entitled ‘‘An Act to prohibit
the introduction, or manufacture for introduction, into interstate
commerce of switchblade knives, and for other purposes’’ (commonly
known as the Federal Switchblade Act) (15 U.S.C. 1244) is
amended-
(1) by striking ‘‘or’’ at the end of paragraph (3);
(2) by striking the period at the end of paragraph (4)
and inserting ‘‘; or’’ and
(3) by adding at the end the following:
‘‘(5) a knife that contains a spring, detent, or other mechanism
designed to create a bias toward closure of the blade
and that requires exertion applied to the blade by hand, wrist,
or arm to overcome the bias toward closure to assist in opening
the knife.’’.

This is the original language in being amended in the Federal Switchblade Act-
Section 1244. Exceptions

Sections 1242 and 1243 of this title shall not apply to -
(1) any common carrier or contract carrier, with respect to any switchblade knife shipped, transported, or delivered for shipment in interstate commerce in the ordinary course of business;
(2) the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce, of switchblade knives pursuant to contract with the Armed Forces;
(3) the Armed Forces or any member or employee thereof acting in the performance of his duty; or
(4) the possession, and transportation upon his person, of any switchblade knife with a blade three inches or less in length by any individual who has only one arm.

In my Laymans understanding of this the law now will read, with the amended language -

Sections 1242 and 1243 of this title shall not apply to -
(1) any common carrier or contract carrier, with respect to any switchblade knife shipped, transported, or delivered for shipment in interstate commerce in the ordinary course of business;
(2) the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce, of switchblade knives pursuant to contract with the Armed Forces;
(3) the Armed Forces or any member or employee thereof acting in the performance of his duty.
(4) the possession, and transportation upon his person, of any switchblade knife with a blade three inches or less in length by any individual who has only one arm or a knife that contains a spring, detent, or other mechanism
designed to create a bias toward closure of the blade and that requires exertion applied to the blade by hand, wrist,
or arm to overcome the bias toward closure to assist in opening the knife

This exempts assisted opening knives from the Switchblade act. (I think)

Trebuchet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
we should remember that if they pass this and we all stand up, they will never be able to enforce it and will nullify it. Government should fear us! We should not fear them! I remember someone once saying something like, "from my cold dead hands"!!!!!

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did Oklahoma do away with it's knife carry law? It used to say that "assisted opening" and "carrying" switchblades was a felony.

I did a brief search on OSCN and didn't see it.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
Oklahoma Title 21§21-1272. Unlawful carry.

UNLAWFUL CARRY

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry upon or about his or her person, or in a purse or other container belonging to the person, any pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle whether loaded or unloaded or any dagger, bowie knife, dirk knife, switchblade knife, spring-type knife, sword cane, knife having a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife, blackjack, loaded cane, billy, hand chain, metal knuckles, or any other offensive weapon, whether such weapon be concealed or unconcealed, except this section shall not prohibit:

1. The proper use of guns and knives for hunting, fishing, educational or recreational purposes;

2. The carrying or use of weapons in a manner otherwise permitted by statute or authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act;

3. The carrying, possession and use of any weapon by a peace officer or other person authorized by law to carry a weapon in the performance of official duties and in compliance with the rules of the employing agency; or

4. The carrying and use of firearms and other weapons provided in this subsection when used for the purpose of living history reenactment. For purposes of this paragraph, "living history reenactment" means depiction of historical characters, scenes, historical life or events for entertainment, education, or historical documentation through the wearing or use of period, historical, antique or vintage clothing, accessories, firearms, weapons, and other implements of the historical period.

B. Any person convicted of violating the foregoing provision shall be guilty of a misdemeanor punishable as provided in Section 1276 of this title.

R.L.1910, § 2546. Amended by Laws 1957, p. 163, § 1; Laws 1969, c. 311, § 1, emerg. eff. April 28, 1969; Laws 1993, c. 309, § 1, emerg. eff. June 7, 1993; Laws 1995, c. 272, § 26, eff. Sept. 1, 1995; Laws 1996, c. 191, § 2, emerg. eff. May 16, 1996; Laws 2003, c. 465, § 1, eff. July 1, 2003.

I suppose it would depend on how good your lawyer is but the assisted opening kives like the kershaw line may or may not fit the exact letter of the Oklahoma statute. I'll continue to carry mine and conduct myself in an otherwise law abiding fashion and not worry too much about it.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Somewhere in my desk I have a letter from a Tulsa ADA stating that carry of assisted opening knives would be prosecuted under 21-1272. TUL started referring the cases and one day someone else from the DA's office said "Why are you sending us these?" and declined to prosecute on any of them.

I think this law being passed would gut any attempt to prosecute for carrying an assisted opening knife under 21-1272. Any DA foolish enough to try it would look, well, foolish!

Latest posts

Top Bottom