Load development question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a tool i use to check my shoulder ogive or shoulder bump.
After sizing cases I can measure that and I want them all the same.
All neck ID the same and OD the same.
You know that stuff though.
For cold bore shooting that is not bad.

Once fired .308 brass with a crimp I will go out on a limb and say LC brass.

I have shot groups with many different brands of brass and Norma, Lapua or Winchester
are my favorites in .308

Take those same cases and load the same and go shoot again and see if you get the same results.

When I first began loading for .308 and 30-06 I tried neck sizing VS full length sizing and FLS won every time.
I did modify my dies so that the cases were only sized down at most .002" anywhere. Except the neck of course.

Another multiple rounds fired on multiple days test was setting my shoulders back .008" on winchester cases.
This was not a test at first but I found my case life was not great and I made a tool to measure shoulder bump and found I was setting them back .008" each time.

Accuracy was excellent in fact better than bumping them .000" or .002" back.
Case life was very short though.

I tend to over think things and I was thinking maybe there was some shock absorber effect happening when the shoulder had to "bump out" to fill the chamber or some extra time for powder to burn that resulted in increased accuracy.
Little more accuracy was not enough to have less case life though.

I suppose if I shot competition I would sacrifice case life.
But I do not and my accuracy needs to just be good enough to result in a clean 1 shot kill to put meat on the table.

Your groups are good enough to stretch their legs and you may be surprised at the results at 200 yards. You may shoot the same group sizes.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
2590A007-49CD-4089-9B49-5677374BB9B5.jpeg

Here is the brass I’m using, not sure what brand it is. But I thought I’d give it a whirl.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It’s impossible to give correcting advice with regards to shot groups. It could be anything from shooting form, bench vs prone position, inconsistent reloads, outside a node, or seating depth.

I believe you’re a good enough shooter to weed out the first two and we both know a Sako TRG 22 will shoot. Sometimes the fun part of hand loading is the journey of discovery.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For now it shoots better groups than I ever got from my .308 LC-05 brass.
CBC is very thick and lacks internal volume but lapua lacks internal volume also and trying to get an upper accuracy node with 4064 and 150-155 gr is not possible for my rifle.
Too much compression of powder and I must use winchester cases for that.

But those 41-43gr loads do just fine in volume challenged cases.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For now it shoots better groups than I ever got from my .308 LC-05 brass.
CBC is very thick and lacks internal volume but lapua lacks internal volume also and trying to get an upper accuracy node with 4064 and 150-155 gr is not possible for my rifle.
Too much compression of powder and I must use winchester cases for that.

But those 41-43gr loads do just fine in volume challenged cases.
The Sierra load book said 41.9gr of 4064 should do 2600fps,and 43.4gr would do 2700fps, my 42gr load was 2700. I’m going to try some different brass

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My New Lapua cases shot better after my initial firing of them.
I then ran my calipers into a neck of a new case and measured the ID while slowly turning the case and found them to be very rough.

You can feel the roughness of the case neck ID through the calipers like feeling a fish nibble on a fishing line.
I was brushing neck insides at that time and decided to Full length size those and brush them and groups were better.
Still slightly better after the first firing though.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom