loading for ar & garand

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been reloading for years but never for semi auto rifles, Do you need a small base die for the M1 garand & AR. I also hear that cci mil spec primers (WHITE BOX) should be used. If none on hand what primers should you stay away from. I know that the M1 needs med Burn rate powder at 2700 fps or so, have some data for this one. Mostly looking at primers to prevent slamfires & reliability of feeding etc

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have used regular CCI primers for all my semi auto for years. My Garand or AR or Mini have never had a slamfire. I really think its more of getting the primer seated in the pocket i.e. deep. I know the white box are supposed to be harder but I really think its more of a depth issue than hardness.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been reloading for years but never for semi auto rifles, Do you need a small base die for the M1 garand & AR. I also hear that cci mil spec primers (WHITE BOX) should be used. If none on hand what primers should you stay away from. I know that the M1 needs med Burn rate powder at 2700 fps or so, have some data for this one. Mostly looking at primers to prevent slamfires & reliability of feeding etc

Won't need small base dies for a M-1 Garand. I just necksize personally. For an AR you will need to full length resize. I would avoid brass that requires small base dies. I'd avoid Federal standard primers for any floating firing pin rifle. That would include: M-1 Rifle, M-1 Carbine, M-14 and clones, AR-15 and clones, etc. Winchester and CCI standard primers seem hard enough. The GI spec primers might get you a little more safety margin, but probably are not essential. IMR 4064 and IMR 4895 are favorites for M-1 Rifle. Be very careful with powder selection for M-1 Rifle; the wrong choice will cause damage to the gun.

Randall

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have never had a problem with standard primers in my AR,M1A or Garand.I have used CCI or Winchester exclusively and have no experience with other brands.I have never used a small base die and full length resize only. As mentioned 4895 is the powder for a Garand,also try not to use bullets over 165,168 grains.DO NOT USE 4350 AND 180 GRAIN BULLETS!! If you use slower powder and heavier bullets you will bend the op-rod!

Spiff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No need for small base dies. I've used Rem 7.5s in ARs with good results. They're tough to find usually though. I've heard the 6.5s will pierce with anything over a moderate load.

Jack, do you really only necksize for your Garand? That sounds like asking for trouble to me.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I reload for my AR - Use AA2230 powder and CCI Small Rifle Primers. I've never had any problem with slam fires but I swag (we necessary), uniform, and clean the primer pocket to ensure proper primer seating. Also, RCBS recommends small base dies for semi-autos which is what I use.

Okieprepper

Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty...
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I reload my 223 with Varget powder, CCI and Federal Small Rifle Primers. I swage and clean primer pocket too. I use full length dies. No problems yet, but could someone tell me what the advantage is when using small base dies for 223??

Latest posts

Top Bottom