Local source for Coconut Coir?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had it outside during the summer. . .and didn't get it moved back into the sunroom before that first freeze we had. I was out of town that weekend, and when I came back every talipia I had was floating belly up.

It was just an experiment anyway, but it worked pretty doggone well. Lettuce grew like CRAZY, herbs did quite well. Peppers/tomatoes grew very well, but never produced much fruit.

I'll run it again in the not too distant future. . .now that I kinda know what I'm doing it will work much better.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had it outside during the summer. . .and didn't get it moved back into the sunroom before that first freeze we had. I was out of town that weekend, and when I came back every talipia I had was floating belly up.

It was just an experiment anyway, but it worked pretty doggone well. Lettuce grew like CRAZY, herbs did quite well. Peppers/tomatoes grew very well, but never produced much fruit.

I'll run it again in the not too distant future. . .now that I kinda know what I'm doing it will work much better.

Ohhhh ... where did you get your tilapia?? I swear I'm just gonna set up a couple of 100 gallon tanks in the living room ... LOL GC is mortified ... But, we had fish tanks when I was a kid. 100 gallons not that big in the grand scheme of things ...

Jack T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got 'em from Harbin Fish Farms in Wetumka. Quite reasonably priced.

I had 2 330 gallon totes set up in the sunroom all last winter. . .cut the top 1/3 off, flip it over, fill it with gravel, and use it as the grow beds, with water in the lower 2/3. There wasn't much (if any) smell, which I was very careful about. My wife is wonderful, but I still don't want to take advantage of her "wonderful-ness" by having stinking fish stuff in the house!

After about 6 months, I added a half-pound of worms to the growbeds, which help break down the fish waste even more. It's an ingenious system, really. . .quite efficient, which I like. I tried adding mudbugs to the aquarium part, but didn't have enough cover for 'em. . .and the fish gobbled 'em up.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmmm ... Man I am so tempted. I'm specifically looking at greenhouses just to give tilapia (and worms) a try ... the plants will just be a nice by-product. There are so many things I wanna try ... Man, I wish I lived on an acreage. I'd have a little bitty house and a GREAT BIG BARN! LOL

Latest posts

Top Bottom