long gun legality.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

climbtothebeet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ive got my sda permit, but was curious about something and couldnt find the answer. When keeping a magazine/tube loaded long gun (shotgun) in my car does it have all of the same laws as far as parking lots etc. My only concern was at places like post offices/court houses, etc. from the way i was reading the sda book id say yes.... any knowledgable people?

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only paking lot restriction you have by state law is K-12 and technology center parking lots. Yes the law on that is the same for long guns and shotties as it is for pistols.

I am confused by your post are you under the impression that parking your vehicle at the courthouse or post office and leaving a weapon in the vehicle is prohibited?

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong. I got my permit back in 1996 so I may not be up on the current laws. Although, my renewed permit still only lists "Pistol, Revolver, or Derringer" as authorized concealed firearms. Doesn't say a thing about being able to keep concealed rifles or shotguns in vehicles.

My understanding is a loaded shotgun or rifle in a vehicle is still illegal.

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These are the laws pertaining to the subject in question:

TITLE 21 § 1277. Unlawful carry in certain places UNLAWFUL CARRY IN CERTAIN PLACES
A. It shall be unlawful for any person in possession of a valid concealed handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to carry any concealed handgun into any of the following places:
1. Any structure, building, or office space which is owned or leased by a city, town, county, state, or federal governmental authority for the purpose of conducting business with the public;
2. Any meeting of any city, town, county, state or federal officials, school board members, legislative members, or any other elected or appointed officials;
3. Any prison, jail, detention facility or any facility used to process, hold, or house arrested persons, prisoners or persons alleged delinquent or adjudicated delinquent;
4. Any elementary or secondary school, or technology center school property; 5. Any sports arena during a professional sporting event; 6. Any place where pari-mutuel wagering is authorized by law; and 7. Any other place specifically prohibited by law.
B. For purposes of paragraphs 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6 of subsection A of this section, the prohibited place does not include and specifically excludes the following property:
1. Any property set aside for the use of any vehicle, whether attended or unattended, by a city, town, county, state, or federal governmental authority,
2. Any property set aside for the use of any vehicle, whether attended or unattended, by any entity offering any professional sporting event which is open to the public for admission, or by any entity engaged in pari-mutuel wagering authorized by law,
3. Any property adjacent to a structure, building, or office space in which concealed weapons are prohibited by the provisions of this section, and
4 Any property designated by a city, town, county, or state, governmental authority as a park, recreational area, or fairgrounds; provided nothing in this paragraph shall be construed to authorize any entry by a person in possession of a concealed handgun into any structure, building, or office space which is specifically prohibited by the provisions of subsection A of this section.

And...

TITLE 21 § 1289.7. Firearms in vehicles FIREARMS IN VEHICLES
Any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle, shotgun or pistol, open and unloaded, at any time. For purposes of this section “open” means the firearm is transported in plain view, in a case designed for carrying firearms, which case is wholly or partially visible, in a gun rack mounted in the vehicle, in an exterior locked compartment or a trunk of a vehicle.
Any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle or shotgun concealed behind a seat of the vehicle or within the interior of the vehicle provided the rifle or shotgun is not clip, magazine or chamber loaded. The authority to transport a clip or magazine loaded rifle or shotgun shall be pursuant to Section 1289.13 of this title. (Take note of this section)
Any person who is the operator of a vehicle or is a passenger in any vehicle wherein another person who is licensed pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Sections 1 through 26 of this act, to carry a concealed handgun and is carrying a concealed handgun or has concealed the handgun in such vehicle, shall not be deemed in violation of the provisions of this section provided the licensee is in or near the vehicle.

And finally...

TITLE 21 § 1289.13. Transporting a loaded firearm TRANSPORTING A LOADED FIREARM
Except as otherwise provided by the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act or another provision of law, it shall be unlawful to transport a loaded pistol, rifle or shotgun in a land borne motor vehicle over a public highway or roadway. However, a rifle or shotgun may be transported clip or magazine loaded and not chamber loaded when transported in an exterior locked compartment of the vehicle or trunk of the vehicle or in the interior compartment of the vehicle notwithstanding the provisions of Section 1289.7 of this title when the person is in possession of a valid handgun license pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act.
Any person convicted of a violation of this section shall be punished as provided in Section 1289.15 of this title.
Any person who is the operator of a vehicle or is a passenger in any vehicle wherein another person who is licensed pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to carry a concealed handgun and is carrying a concealed handgun or has concealed a handgun or rifle or shotgun in such vehicle shall not be deemed in violation of the provisions of this section provided the licensee is in or near the vehicle.

So, in other words, if you have a license to carry a handgun, you can carry a magazine LOADED but chamber EMPTY rifle or shotgun in the interior or trunk of your vehicle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom