looking for 38 oppinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I am looking for a backup or a lighter carry gun. I usually carry a SIG P220. Been looking at the small 380 semi-autos but have issues with magazine availability and reliability with them. Subsequently, I am looking at small framed revolvers.

I am still trying to find something negative on the LCR. As to the S&W, it is a proven performer but I simply can't stand looking at the lock on the side of their revolvers. May look at Taurus and Charter Arms when I get serious about buying.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
with a little searching you can find some SW's without the lock. H&H has a M40 "hammerless" or two in stock... and the late 37's (shrouded hammer) are not lock equiped either.

I find older J frames nearly every time I check a gun or pawn shop.... tight ugly, holster worn pistols to NIB collectors items.

Personally.. I searched for an early M60 for years at the right price... after I bought that 60, it seemed like I found one or two everyplace I stopped for months afterward,

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am looking for a backup or a lighter carry gun. I usually carry a SIG P220. Been looking at the small 380 semi-autos but have issues with magazine availability and reliability with them. Subsequently, I am looking at small framed revolvers.

I am still trying to find something negative on the LCR. As to the S&W, it is a proven performer but I simply can't stand looking at the lock on the side of their revolvers. May look at Taurus and Charter Arms when I get serious about buying.

Good Lord man, you were carrying a P220? Those things are boat anchors! I carried one on duty for awhile and it wasn't pleasant.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ai373.photobucket.com_albums_oo177_BurkC_P3240007.jpg

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Good Lord man, you were carrying a P220? Those things are boat anchors! I carried one on duty for awhile and it wasn't pleasant.

Outside of an old style Colt Detective Special that my late father carried for most of his career (LBPD) or a mint condition Colt 1903, I really don’t have anything lighter or smaller than my SIG!

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
heres a negative on the lcr and a reason i dont want one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0h3tz4pAF0

i will stick with my pre-lock 442

Saw that vid a few weeks ago. Someone commented on a thread that Ruger had stated that of all the LCRs they produced, a handful came back (and were replaced). They seem to think it was something to do with the metal (recycled beer cans?) that they used in just those particular guns. With that being said, there are a lot of posts on a lot of gun threads of people shooting their LCRs like mini-guns with no cutting problems. I am still leaning towards the Ruger with CT grips and possibly a XS front sight.