Looking for help on weapon and can you have to much

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I would say "no, you can't have too much," but there have been a couple threads lately saying "yes, you can have too much especially when it comes to 22's."
So I could be wrong

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd ask why you think you need to add 7.62ARs to the stable? The 7.62 round in an AR isn't something I would consider, personally. If you're dead-set you want 7.62, then the AK platform was built for it and cycles it reliably in all kinds of conditions, proven over many decades. I'd stay away from 7.62ARs, myself.

The .45... ok, well, you've got 9mm. What do you need the .45 for? We're not talking about a single-showdown manstopping situation here. Although it's possible you could get into that. Honestly, with all that ammo, how much is "target" or "practice" ammo, and how much is actual "duty" ammo you'd want to load up with for potential action? Sounds like you have a couple of places for settling in... assume you are stocking for a number of folks, so would you have guards or patrols? Would you want your patrols or guards carrying FMJ in their pistols? Nothing particularly wrong with it, but if you're looking to improve effectiveness, getting into JHP ammo might be a better investment... I'm just wondering.

I don't see the need in diversifying your collection anymore so much as focusing on what you would need to make it as well-rounded as you can, while streamlining your types of ammo/magazines/firearms. Maybe focus on firearms that are made from interchangeable parts and are ultra-reliable. If you're going to go with ARs, go with all ARs and stock replacement parts of every type. For pistols, I think Glocks are proven reliable, parts are readily available and you can teach just about anyone to shoot one. Keeps all magazines interchangeable that way, too.

5.56 ARs
9mm Glocks
tons of replacement parts for each
PMAGs
Glock mags

Then you mentioned a few long-range rifles... make sure you have good glass on them and replacements handy. Think about suppressors. Very very handy if you are in that kind of situation...

I'd also look into more security arrangements, as mentioned above. Monitoring systems/equipment, meaning cameras and video cameras, good binoculars, stealth setups alerting for trespassers, etc.

Looked into dogs? Raising and training guard/tracking/attack dogs might be a good diversification plan. They're usable in all kinds of weather and have an additional shock/fear factor involved when unleashing them upon an opponent. In addition, they are free patrolmen inside any kind of compound and are utterly loyal, and some require minimal upkeep. Just food and water and a little love. They'll also keep you warm should you be out on patrol - assuming again, that ever becomes necessary.

We're talking way far-out EOTW-type stuff here, but... stockpiling 100k rounds of ammo and 18 months' worth of food sounds like that's what you're planning against, to me.

I'd also look heavily into the medical stuff.

Just my $0.02.

Free Trapper

Repeat Offender
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
POPIG,

First...love your avatar...my feelings exactly!

Second, mums the word on your stashes of any kind.

Third...and some will disagree with me on this...I have never quite understood the practice of guns and ammo for bartering of the big day comes.

Some would probably say that I have enough of each for 3 or 4 people, but I don't have any for SHTF trading speculation.

I am careful to say that the FTF's I have had with OSA members (guns and ammo) have went very well, and met some nice people, but these are realitively quiet times. I won't do it after the ball drops.

You would never arm an opponent in war. Even a trusted friend might become a different person entirely if he heard his children crying for food for a couple of days. Food,fuel,seeds etc would be fine for bartering (well away from your home) but save the armoury stuff for its intended purpose and pray to God that you never have to use it.

My $00.2 worth.

Free Trapper

POPIG

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments. Set the family down over the weekend and had this talk, going to forgo the 7.62 but picked up couple more .45s and more ammo.
Have covered most of these bases mentioned do LIKE THE DOGS THING. Sons on board, this will be left for them always get two of everything to leave both the same.
It would tickle you at amount of pmags. Found pmags for 8.99 one day.
I see trouble for next generation try to have them prepared. I may have gone overboard on some, could outfit a good 12 man squad.

securitysix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd ask why you think you need to add 7.62ARs to the stable? The 7.62 round in an AR isn't something I would consider, personally. If you're dead-set you want 7.62, then the AK platform was built for it and cycles it reliably in all kinds of conditions, proven over many decades. I'd stay away from 7.62ARs, myself.

I believe the OP is talking about AR-10s in 7.62x51mm NATO, aka .308 Winchester, not AR-15s in 7.62x39mm.

The .45... ok, well, you've got 9mm. What do you need the .45 for? We're not talking about a single-showdown manstopping situation here. Although it's possible you could get into that. Honestly, with all that ammo, how much is "target" or "practice" ammo, and how much is actual "duty" ammo you'd want to load up with for potential action? Sounds like you have a couple of places for settling in... assume you are stocking for a number of folks, so would you have guards or patrols? Would you want your patrols or guards carrying FMJ in their pistols? Nothing particularly wrong with it, but if you're looking to improve effectiveness, getting into JHP ammo might be a better investment... I'm just wondering.

Well, as he points out, he picked up the .45 on a whim. Nothing wrong with that. Sounds like he's got his bases covered for primary, go-to guns, so having one for a toy isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially if he decides he likes it better, and wants to carry it as a primary instead of a 9mm. I agree with you on the ammo types, regardless of cartridge type, though.

In my opinion, diversifying isn't a bad thing as long as you've got your main preps (primary firearms, food, medical, perimeter security) sorted out. Being able to fire any cartridge you can scrounge up on the battlefield is not necessarily a bad thing. Granted, if you can scrounge the ammo, you can probably scrounge the weapons, but you can't practice with them before you scrounge them...

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments. Set the family down over the weekend and had this talk, going to forgo the 7.62 but picked up couple more .45s and more ammo.
Have covered most of these bases mentioned do LIKE THE DOGS THING. Sons on board, this will be left for them always get two of everything to leave both the same.
It would tickle you at amount of pmags. Found pmags for 8.99 one day.
I see trouble for next generation try to have them prepared. I may have gone overboard on some, could outfit a good 12 man squad.

What training standards, organization and equipment will you use for your squad?

Latest posts

Top Bottom