looking for recipes for .375H&H...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farpoint

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Took the leap finally and bought a MAUSER 3000 L.H. in .375H&H. Was wondering what works for you that reload this caliber.
I've bought a box of Speer Grand Slams in 285g and some Speer 300g African Slams Tungsten core for giggles and grins.
Also has anyone down loaded one of these and used cast bullets with gas checks?

iceman755

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey me too! I jus picked up a ruger number 1 in that cal I like it already mines fairly heavy. Are you going to be using yours for big big game? Or just load for fun? Im going to try the lighter end of the bullets my hornady number 8 has data for it still. Havent looked on load data though

farpoint

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If im lucky I hope.to maybe go griz or its brown cousin someday. But I've always wanted to own own one.
Have a bro-n- law that use to be a state trooper here and he had one. Was to be his road block gun to kill engine blocks.
Never used it for that but he kept it after he retired. Pre '64 model 70 Win. Got to shoot it and fell in love.
That was over 30 yrs.ago. Now I'm 55 and I figured if I'm going to ever own one it has to be pretty soon.
$995 for a Mauser 3000 lefty made by Heym sometime in the 60's. Nice gun with quick detach mounts and iron
sights. Should be on its way from Oregon.
After I committed to the gun, I checked out the Ruger .375 in a Savage 116 brush gun. Knowing what I
know now I may have went with a Ruger. Cheaper, and it'd probably served my needs better for a dangerous game/brush rifle. Then again I'd never would have ever own one of these. Its ported and I'm planning on installing a Limb Saver and axread mule recoil system/similar.
What do you think of yours? Ballistic sounds like/close to the H&H. Anyway I like the idea of a tungsten core 300g Grand Slam cutting through anything I want on my side of this planet should the need arise. Have to part with on of my Colt Enhanced Commander that I'm grieving over. But to get one toy, I have to part with another.

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe RL-15 is one of the best powders for the 375 H&H Magnum. RL-15 with 270 grain and 300 grain bullets over Federal 215M primers is what I use in both rifle and handgun with excellent results.

Persoally, I wouldn't grieve over not getting the 375 Ruger. I would much rather have a 375 H&H Magnum.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On the 300 grain bullet, I've been using IMR-4350 and H-414. I like the 4350 better. 77 grains of IMR-4350 with the 300 grain bullet and 75 grains of H-414 with the 300 grain bullet in my rifle. reduce and work up for your rifle. I'm shooting these out of a TC Encore 26" barrel. I had to put a brake on it to tame the recoil. Without the brake, on the 9th shot, I shattered the internals on a Pentax Gameseeker pro scope. I'm an old guy, I'll be 66 in a couple of weeks and I don't do recoil nearly as well as I did as a kid. The recoil with the brake is bout like an '06 now. You will enjoy it as long as you reload.. Buying new ammo will break the bank. I have been known to use 300 Weatherby mag brass to form brass for the H&H. work slow and use Imperial sizing die wax for lube and you can do it pretty well. Blitzfike

Latest posts

Top Bottom