M&P Magazines keep falling apart...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FireproofD3:25

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I alsoshoot M&P and have never seen that.Been to alot of matches and the pRO Am where there were alot of M&P's.Still haven't seen it.Do you take your mags apart a lot?

Only time I take them apart is after a match where I drop them in the dirt alot. Springs are all installed correctly and engaged in the baseplates Has to be technique since it is multiple mags...gonna keep working to change it.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just tried it on my M&P. The very first time the mag DID shoot apart when I too much force forward/upward on it. Seems like my M&P will drop the slide with about 50% of that amount of force.

You're not crazy, and there's nothing wrong with your mags. Just need to lay off the 'roids. :D

okiebertt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FireproofD, after thinking of your problem, had an idea. When the base plates fall off are your mags fully loaded? If you are practicing with a partially loaded or empty mag, there may not be enough spring tension on the floor plate when slamming the mag vigorously into the gun. The upward inertia on the spring plate continues even when the mag stops when slammed into the gun, releasing the floorplate. I have fired almost 7k rds thru 2 different M&P 9 pistols without this ever happening, but my mags have always had at least 10 rds in them.
This would be easy enough to check, of course don't try this in your home. :)
Good luck, let us know what you find.

FireproofD3:25

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting point, the times I remember it occurring I had less than 5 rounds loaded. Have been too nervous to try more rounds since I didn't want to dump them all of the ground. I'll give it a shot with more rounds.

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
quite an interesting problem. like the others i have never had this problem with any of my mags in the 5k or so ive put through mine. My full size mags are somewhat beat up mostly nicks in the floor plates and such from dropping the mags out onto concrete and such while performing reloads. I also like the feature of slamming them home to release the slide forwards but it is something that i dont practice to do if it happens great if not i just rip the slide and get back in business.

on a side note in the last class i had taken i was pleased with how well the mags function. i had a full cargo pocket of loose 9mm so i could reload between strings of fire without having to run back and forth off the firing line. anyways we got into doing some pretty agressive movement drills and just about all that loose ammo went into the dirt. told myself why not just leave it dirty and see how the gun acts. And it still ran like a champ no issues at all.

Latest posts

Top Bottom