M&P15-22 or Marlin 60

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

44minimum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Marlon 60 has been around for 30 or 40 years for good reason. Nothing wrong with it at all. Smith and Wesson seems to have a good 22. But it is black. And it does have a big magazine. And it is scary looking. So therefore it is evil. At least some people think so. Looks cool though. Question is, which one do you like better and how much are you willing to spend?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd say the Model 60. There have been issues with the S&W (especially extractors) and I'd want to be sure they have it sorted out before buying one.

Jeff Scott

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why do you like the Sig over the S&W

The Sig feels more solidly built than the Smith. It has been less picky about ammo. I did have to send my Smith back in because the feed ramp sheared off and I will say since it returned it seems more reliable with no FTF or FTE's so far.
I also like the way the Sig feels when shouldered...its kinda to describe. I think Smith has probably worked the bugs out of the early production models like mine by now so I don't think you can go wrong with one.

Keyser328

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went old school, I picked up a beater, busted Marlin Glenfield Model 60 (with the 18 round tube mag) and repaired/restored it.

I now have a very pretty .22 plinker for about $100.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I went old school, I picked up a beater, busted Marlin Glenfield Model 60 (with the 18 round tube mag) and repaired/restored it.

I now have a very pretty .22 plinker for about $100.

thats the beauty of the 60. there are many in pawn shops in the $100 range.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't go with the S&W. I've just seen too many problems with them, and I don't know that they've worked them out. I shoot bossed an Appleseed last year and there were two brand-new S&Ws on the line (it was right after they came out), and I don't think either one made it through one 25m Army Qual. Test before running into problems. Both had Failure to Feed/Eject problems IIRC. A lady I know has one, and recently had to send it off to have factory work done on it. I have another friend who has one and likes it pretty well... but that's one good one out of 4 that I've dealt with. Sure they're under warranty, but do you really want to have to deal with mailing it back and forth, when you paid over $400 for it?

I would go with the Marlin, but I would go with a Model 795 instead of a Model 60. The 795 is the exact same rifle as the 60, but it uses magazines instead of tube feed. Maybe I'm biased by my experience with Appleseed, since our courses of fire involve forced reloads under time pressure from field positions, but I think tube feed is a huge PITA. I don't know why anyone would want a tube feed when you can get basically the same rifle with mag feed for the same price... plus, the 795s come with sling studs and 60s don't.

A lot of times, those Marlins are sold with a $25 factory mail-in rebate. You can find them for $125 or so, and send in the rebate and have a brand-new, warrantied rifle for $100. You can't beat that.

Then, you can get some GI-style aperture sights from Tech Sights for $70 http://www.tech-sights.com/ , some 1 1/4" sling swivels from Midway or Wal Mart for 8 or 9 bucks, and a GI Web Sling from the Appleseed store for $12.50... next, you bring it to an Appleseed marksmanship clinic, which is $70 for a weekend, and you will learn some amazing marksmanship skills that will transfer over to center fire rifles, and you will hear some good Rev War history and how to save our American heritage of marksmanship and liberty, too. Hmm, that's less than $200 for the rifle with all accessories, and another $70 for REALLY learning how to put it to use... I'd say that's a much better deal than a $400 jam-o-mattic!

No matter what rifle you end up getting, bring it to an Appleseed! We're having one in Chickasha on August 7-8. http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=14690.0

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got to agree with Jeff Scott. I have the M&P .22 and the Sig 522. Both are good rifles but,the Sig feels more solid. The S&W will usually cycle with CCI Subsonics with my Warlock on it. I would take the S&W over the Marlin if possible.

Latest posts

Top Bottom