M1 Carbine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im gonna at least see how it does with soft points

I will be taking a back up....

what uses does the 30 carbine really have????

Seriously? That 30 carbine has stopped tens of thousands of more dangerous things than the 375 marlin. A good many of those dangerous things were shooting back at the time.

Make sure the Carbine is USGI. There are Universals and lots of other non USGI junk out there...

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've read the that .30 carbine was originally intended as a pistol round.
Either way, these weren't intended for front line troops.

Got me a Inland Rack M1 Carbine and a SA M1 Garand "Special" on order from CMP. Hopefully by Christmas! :w000t:

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Universal was the non GI copy. Underwood was one of the 11 prime Government contractors. Along with Iver Johnson and Plainfield, Universal were commercial copies, although some of the early copies used GI parts (except recievers) somewhat like Springfield did with the M1A's. I agree with rhodesbe, they stopped a few in WWII and Korea. If you hit in the right spot it'll go down.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shooting paper.....

Seriously it was an underpowered round, I mean yeah the rifle itself was great thru WWII and Korea, but it was underpowered....

It may be underpowered compared to the .30-06 of the M1903 or M1 rifle, but it is no slouch.

.30 Carbine 110gr FMJ, MV - 1990 fps, Energy - 967 ft/lbs
.357 Magnum 110gr JHP, MV - 1295 fps, Energy - 410 ft/lbs

It has twice the muzzle energy of the .357 Magnum and I don't think too many folks consider the .357 to be "underpowered".

Ballistics data from:http://www.winchester.com/default.aspx

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get the carbine, but don't hog hunt with it. It's one of the wimpiest rounds ever to come out of a centerfire rifle. I know one Korean war vet who shot a heavily padded North Korean numerous times with a carbine and did not stop him. Range was close-up. Someone else finally got tired of the show and center punched the guy with an M-1.

Again, it's a crappy round. And, it's expensive and scarce.

Shot placement is fine, but unless you are really good and pretty lucky too, there will be times when you need more, either to prevent wounding a hog or keep one from eating you.

Uses for a carbine? The gun was designed to replace pistols and should be looked at as a long, accurate handgun. Ballistics are about like a moderate
.357 load. These are really fun to shoot if you can afford the ammo. CB

<I stand corrected regarding the .357 comparison, but still don't think it's enough gun for hogs.>

JWE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It may be underpowered compared to the .30-06 of the M1903 or M1 rifle, but it is no slouch.

.30 Carbine 110gr FMJ, MV - 1990 fps, Energy - 967 ft/lbs
.357 Magnum 110gr JHP, MV - 1295 fps, Energy - 410 ft/lbs

It has twice the muzzle energy of the .357 Magnum and I don't think too many folks consider the .357 to be "underpowered".

Ballistics data from:http://www.winchester.com/default.aspx

Guess you didn't read about the ineffectiveness of the 30 Carbine Round at the Frozen Chosin in Korea..... I've talked to several Marine Vets who were there, and none of them had a good thing to say about it other than the detachable magazine.

Plus when used to engage targets over 100m. The round was worthless...

sabot_round

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've read the that .30 carbine was originally intended as a pistol round.
Either way, these weren't intended for front line troops.

Got me a Inland Rack M1 Carbine and a SA M1 Garand "Special" on order from CMP. Hopefully by Christmas! :w000t:

Is that why they issued a variant of this carb to airborne troops?

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's a quote from Wikipedia and I've read similar accounts on the CMP board.
"The M1 carbine and its reduced-power .30 cartridge was never intended to serve as a primary weapon for combat infantrymen, nor was it comparable to more powerful assault rifles developed late in the war. Nevertheless, the carbine was soon widely issued to infantry officers, and the American paratroopers NCOs, ammunition bearers, forward artillery observers,and other frontline troops. Its reputation in front-line combat was mixed. Some soldiers and Marines, especially those who were unable to use a full-size rifle as their primary weapon, preferred the carbine over the Garand because of the weapon's small size and light weight."

I get from that, the paratroopers got them for their small size and light weight. I'd hate to jump out of a plane toting a Garand.
Even though it does mention front line troops in the quote above, my understanding is it was a weapon intended for support troops. At the very least it wasn't very effective for front line troops!

Is that why they issued a variant of this carb to airborne troops?

Latest posts

Top Bottom