MA man arrested for killing a bear in his backyard

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I suspect his story is suspect. I can't imagine them arresting the man for protecting himself as he described it. He says he thought there might be a bear out there so he took a shotgun with him to put bird food in his feeder. Now if you were almost eighty years old would you risk going out into the yard with a sack a food in your hand if you were so sure there was a bear waiting nearby? I don't think so and it doesn't matter if your 26 or 76 that just don't make sense. I suspect a man of 76 has built up a fair bit of common sense and that story makes no sense. Your average person isn't going to risk getting mauled and decide he's perfectly safe carrying a sack of yummy seed because he has a shotgun. Maybe this guy knew there was a bear hanging around and decided to take matters into his own hands for whatever reason. He starts baiting the bear to get it coming back then sets up with a shotgun and when the bear shows up for feeding time he blasts it and claims self defense. I've yet to meet a game warden yet that wasn't pretty darn good at figuring out who's being honest and who's been breaking the law so, no doubt, they will find out what the real story is.

If he was baiting the bear to draw it into the yard to kill it he deserves to get what's coming. If it turns out he didn't do anything wrong I hope he sues the snot out of that PD.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glad I dont live in MA.

Feeding the birds and charged with baiting a bear. Carry a shotty in your own back yard just in case, cause you saw one the other day. Protect yourself and get charged all kinds of stupid laws.

The blue belly leftys running that town and state are retarded.

A bear man, a bear. Not a cat or poodle, a bear!

Leftys make it sound like Yogey just wanted a pick nick basket. Not like they are dangerouse or anything

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Meh, I can see both sides. I grew up back there, and my kin still live there. Bears are more and more common up there and bird feeders are a cheap/easy source of food for them. My sister lives in the boonies up there and went through a lot of feeders before she rigged up a way to mount them higher...and then the moose figured out how to get them. LOL.

Auburn is a suburb of a pretty big metro area (Worcester). I'm thinking he baited it, but he could also have just been prepared to deal with a threat (like i said, bears are common, you just have to deal with it, not stop living/doing stuff).

The trouble is, as with any other metro area even in Oklahoma, you are on thin ice lugging a shotgun around, even on your own property. You are on even thinner ice discharging that shotgun without a clear articulable threat...especially in a State like Mass that is NOT firearm friendly. Operate at your own risk...expect consequences.

Latest posts

Top Bottom