Marlin vs. Mini14, bullet speed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its not exact, but the rule of thumb has been every inch of barrel = 100fps. Lots of variables that can change that, but that is the ball park lots of people use. Your example is one of the variables.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oops! Just went and measured it, actually 17.5 inches.

I was kinda disappointed that's all the velocity I got from it. I was expecting a bit more.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dennis - I was thinking 25 fps per inch on barrel length. Going with the 100 fps I need to rethink a little on one of my projects. I have a Ruger American Compact .308 - I think it has an 18" barrel. I use it for a woods rifle and eventually a daughter/grandkids rifle - current load is Sierra 125 grain bullet @ moderate velocity. For this fall I plan to load a RP Core-Loct .30-30 bullet (170 gr)@ just over .30-30 velocity (looking for about 2200-2300 fps) and if the differential with a .30 caliber bullet is 100 fps per inch it will be pretty easy with IMR4895.

Cedar Creek

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been told everywhere from 200fps/inch down to the 25fps/inch. I remember reading in an old Guns and Ammo mag about a guy took a .30-06 barrel and started cutting one inch, measuring velocity, cutting an inch, measuring again etc. But I don't remember the results, other than it was not a straight line drop in speed per inch removed. Some inches were pretty drastic, and some inches didn't make much difference.

KD, both my rifles are 1:9 twist.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Terry, don't forget to factor in the fact that the mini-14 is a gas operated gun vs your bolt action. I get considerably more velocity out of my super 14 contender in 223 than I do with any of my AR-15s or mini-14 rifles with 16 inch or longer barrels using the same loads.

Latest posts

Top Bottom