Match ammo ballistics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ptbirshooter87

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m shooting a 5.56/.223 1:8 twist 16” barrel was wondering if anybody knows what the ballistics are for Winchester match 69 grain bthp everything I’ve found is tested with 20” or 24” barrels. I appreciate the help!

Ptbirshooter87

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m shooting 5.56/223 AR style rifle with 1:8 twist 16” barrel I’m trying to find the muzzle velocity or how figure it with Winchester 69 grain BTHP match ammo. All of the info I’m finding is 20”or24” barrels. Any info would be great. I’m trying to find correct muzzle speed so I can set my Ballistic calculator.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
A chronograph is really your best option if you want real accuracy with your specific gun. Quick way is subtract 25fps per inch of barrel from whats published to what your shooting. Then verify your dope at the range. How far are you planning on shooting?

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
So figure your velocity is 100fps slower than a 20in barrel if your using a 16in barrel. 25fps x4in subtract that from advertised speed on box. A google search says that Winchester is 3060fps with a match king 69gr. Here is data from a Federal with 69match king that is traveling 2950. So its a starting point. Same bullet different load that is 100fps slower.

upload_2021-2-21_9-42-19.png

I cant find that Winchester bullet on any calculators online. Here are two other factory 69gr bullets.
Bullet A is the Federal at 2950 and Bullet B is Black Hills at 2850. I would imagine your gun is somewhere between there. the drop at 300 is only .75 inch difference and 1 inch at 400yds.

upload_2021-2-21_9-45-36.png

Last edited:

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Need a chronograph or its a guess without shooting at various yardage. He got 2735 fps. Good Luck shooting https://survivalblog.com/2015/07/20/scots-product-review-winchester-ammunition/ Found this from a 16" barrel AR. I had 40 rounds of each load, and all functioned perfectly with no failures. Muzzle blast and flash were typical of .223 ammunition fired from this sort of rifle. The testing was done in an indoor range, and flash was well contained by the Yankee Hill flash suppressors mounted on both weapons. I would have liked to try a few rounds in total darkness, but I don’t have access to a range at night at the moment.

The 69 grain load has the following ballistics, according to Winchester:

I got an average of 2,735 feet per second at the muzzle out of the 16-inch barreled AR’s, which makes me think Winchester used a longer barrel for their figures.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Best bet is to use a chrono. but if you're like me and don't have one, then to estimate you need to figure out what your loss of velocity per inch is with your platform. This can be tricky, as most of these tests are done with bolt guns. But here's what I have found so far.

http://www.sadefensejournal.com/wp/barrel-length-studies-in-5-56mm-nato-weapons/

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/223rifle.html

Then just punch that number into this calculator combined with the info you find on Winchesters website for your selected round.

http://www.shooterscalculator.com/ballistic-trajectory-chart.php

At 500yds or less with this platform should be pretty easy, I wouldn't stress about it too much, just look these numbers up and then get a feel for it. 3-400yds will come to you naturally.

If you want to find manuals for the AR platform, targets, or other goodies, I have a google drive listed here with a wealth of info.
https://www.okshooters.com/threads/shooting-booklets-dope-cards-and-target-printouts.306321/

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Need a chronograph or its a guess without shooting at various yardage. He got 2735 fps. Good Luck shooting https://survivalblog.com/2015/07/20/scots-product-review-winchester-ammunition/ Found this from a 16" barrel AR. I had 40 rounds of each load, and all functioned perfectly with no failures. Muzzle blast and flash were typical of .223 ammunition fired from this sort of rifle. The testing was done in an indoor range, and flash was well contained by the Yankee Hill flash suppressors mounted on both weapons. I would have liked to try a few rounds in total darkness, but I don’t have access to a range at night at the moment.

The 69 grain load has the following ballistics, according to Winchester:

I got an average of 2,735 feet per second at the muzzle out of the 16-inch barreled AR’s, which makes me think Winchester used a longer barrel for their figures.

Different companies, different platforms, but I am under the impression that ammo companies used to use 26-28" barrels for testing back when longer barrels were in style. Now that shorter barrels are in vogue they're testing with slightly shorter. Federal uses 24" barrels for their testing, per the emails we traded back and forth. I wouldn't be surprised if Winchester is using a 20-24" to test their 223 ammo.

In summary, yeah, what @Glock 40 said while i was hunting and pecking.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My 22" barrel bolt gun is right at 400 fps faster than my 16" Ar barrel with the same load.

Maybe the 22" barrel is fast and maybe the 16" barrel is slow.
I tested some loads in a Ruger 22" barrel .308 and an 18" barrel savage and the difference in velocity was within 10 fps with some loads.
You need to chronograph the load in your rifle or the dope will not be correct.

Here is another B@ll buster if you buy your ammo and get a different lot number all bets are off as the new lot number may be faster or slower.

If you have a place to shoot 400 yards then stick a large piece of cardboard up at 100 yards and shoot at a given point like an X
you made with some electrical tape.

Now go to 200 and shoot at the same spot then 300 and 400 and anything in between.

Now know you should shoot at the same X on the cardboard you can now measure your drops.
And you will see if that ammo holds together at those distances.

I do that with all my rifles.

Another note is Holdover.
I like mil dot scopes.
I can now see the groups on the cardboard at 200 yards and farther and see through the scope how much I need to hold over to hit that spot.

After all that is figured I write it down on paper and take clear box tape and tape it to the side of the stock.

Now the fun part.
Set targets at each distance you have your dope.

You get 1 shot at each target to hit it.
:)
I did it with milk jugs to 500 yards. center punched each one with 1 shot per jug.
Now you are ready to hunt.
Or actually ready to test in a different temperature (:

Latest posts

Top Bottom