matching box

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
just how much value does it add to have the original, numbers matching box, to a pistol? example: my 4506 isn't in it's original box, but it is in a blue plastic S&W box.:anyone:

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorta depends who the buyer is. Some people don't give a rats ass about a box. I see it as being a nice bonus, but it doesn't add any monetary value in my mind.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I could care less about a box. I have sold a few guns that had the right box and I did not get anymore for them. I don't think I have ever had anyone even ask me if I had a box when they were buying a gun. I can see where it might if it was an old Colt or something like that, but I don't think it would matter on a newer gun.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It depends on model, type, and rarity of the gun. If your 4506-1 was one of the few Melonite finished guns, yes the correct box would be very important. Would add 100.00 or so to the price. Other than that, at this point in time no big deal on a plain 4506-1. 20yrs or so down the road yes.

Just like my 3913, and 4566. Both boxes are long gone because these are working guns, same with most of my SW revolvers, except my K22 and K38, both of those still have the boxes and papers. Those two are in the collectable range, so in case after I'm gone someone wants to sell them, then they will get top dollar.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
whats melonite?

Its a black coating similar to whats on glocks. SW first used it on a 686 revolver. Several of these were issued in Cal. Not sure of agency, and most have now found their way into the open market, they do command a premium when found even without the box.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Boxes... the older the gun the more the box is worth.

In Smith and Wesson ...some of the boxes are worth over $200...There are SW fanatics who collect and trade the correct era vintange boxes. They are rare (50 years later or more) because the boxes went in the burn pile back in the day.

You guys are right... for a working class, evidently carried and used late model semi-auto the carton won't bring much.