mathews ultra max compound bow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey shooters,
I'm really excited about hunting season this year. I got my ar ready for rifle season, but I feel that I'm not going to have enough time during rifle season to really enjoy it as much as possible, so I've been debating getting a bow for hunting. I went to the LGS today to check out what they had in selection for bows and was recommended the PSE stinger 3g, it was $399.99 and all I need to get was a release(trigger thing) and arrows. I've shot my friends PSE(not sure what model he has) before and was comfortable with it, my buddy said I was shooting very consistently, he also mentioned my arms were longer than his and I would need a longer draw. (That was the first time I've ever shot a compound bow), heck I've shot less than 20 arrows in my life. Well I didn't buy that bow from the LGS, I figured I would look on this forum and armslist to see if I can find any better deals for a bow. Long story short I found several bows but I know nothing about them to know if I'm getting junk or quality. Let me get to the point my buddies brother gave me a Mathews ultra Max that he said he's had for 10 years. The last 8 years it been sitting in his closet. He wouldn't let me shoot it until I get it restringed, and checked out. I just want to know what you guys think of this bow. I'm planning on going tomorrow to get it checked. Is this a good bow for a noob?. Any info or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know anything about that specific model. However, a bow that doesn't fit you will shy you away from archery. A bow set up correctly and fit correctly will be more accurate. It will sastisfy you more,and make you more confident. Bows have came a long ways in development the last 5 years, however there is nothing wrong with using an older bow if it is safe and you are accurate with it.

The archery pro shop that puts a new string on it (if they are a good shop) will inspect limbs, wheels and cams. Most will charge a little to set up the bow to fit you. Although some won't charge any extra if you buy a release, string and dozen arrows off there shelf.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I plan on buying a bunch of stuff from this shop when I take the bow to them. I don't mind paying a setup fee either, do you know what the average setup charge would be? I'm thinking if its anything near $399.99 I will just buy the PSE that I seen there. The PSE is rated 314fps were this Mathews is rated 323fps. I don't know how much of a difference this makes. I guess we'll see tomorrow. Is there any must haves that I should also buy besides arrows? My buddy has a silencer or that's what he called it says it helps silence the string. He says he's had deer Dodge his arrow cause they heard the string.....lol

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OklahomaBassin gave some good advice.
To add to that, the Ultra Max is a good bow (for an older model). Cons with that bow is that it only has a 6" brace height, which means it's less forgiving. Not ideal for a noob but not horrible either. But the short brace height is also where it gets it's speed, so it's a trade off. It has max cams which iirc have some adjustment but not a lot. If you can't get it setup to "your" draw length then it will need a new cam n the right size. Not a big deal, the Max cam was used in a lot of Mathews bows back then and should be easy to find. With that said, is the guy you got the bow from around your same height? If so your probably fine. If there is a big difference, like he is 5'8" and your 6'2" and the bow is actually his DL then it might not fit you.
As for the IBO, don't get to caught up in that, that bow will be plenty fast enough as is all other newer(ish) bows. String silencers, some like them some dont. I prefer to add nothing to my string I don't need, that being said a string stop is a lot better investment than string silencers. ***You will never quiet a now down enough a deer won't hear it.***
Take it to a good pro shop.... Not bass pro!
Buying a new string and cable plus installation isn't to bad, if it's over $100 then it's to much. Places like Archery Outpost in Tulsa probably carry that string/cable and might install it and tie your peep in for free.
Arrows, the sky is the limit!!! You can buy a set of FMJs or Nanos for $150+ for a dozen shafts or Epics for $80 a dozen complete. Either way they are all good arrows and will get the job done.
Keep it simple for now, then progress as you get into it. Setting up a bow and tuning is a whole big world and can be very time consuming, frustrating and gratifying all at the same time. But that is stuff you can pick up along the way on this marvelous journey of Archery LOL
Welcome to the addiction

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks allout
The guy who gave me the bow is about my hieght. I'm taking it to bills sporting goods right here in Claremore, I've heard from several people that they are a great place to shop for bows, and priced reasonably.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom