Should I get into archery?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Specifically crossbows? I hunt public land, and rifle season on public land is too much like summer vacation 2010 in Afghanistan. So I only get to go out a handful of days during the rifle seasons. I have torn both rotator cuffs twice, and last I tried I couldn’t pull back my 40lb bow fishing compound without feeling like I was about to tear something again. I don’t even think I could get my shoulders to have the range of motion necessary for that again.

So I thought: why not crossbows? Heck, I can think of about 10 tree/tripod stands on public land right now that are just left out year around.

Thoughts? What should I look for in a crossbow? Things to consider?

I’m considering a Centerpoint CP400. Snag another pack of arrows, a crossbow target, and a pack of expanding broadheads and call it good. Worth it? Any other options for $700 or less?
You should definitely give it a try. More time out in the stand.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Specifically crossbows? I hunt public land, and rifle season on public land is too much like summer vacation 2010 in Afghanistan. So I only get to go out a handful of days during the rifle seasons. I have torn both rotator cuffs twice, and last I tried I couldn’t pull back my 40lb bow fishing compound without feeling like I was about to tear something again. I don’t even think I could get my shoulders to have the range of motion necessary for that again.

So I thought: why not crossbows? Heck, I can think of about 10 tree/tripod stands on public land right now that are just left out year around.

Thoughts? What should I look for in a crossbow? Things to consider?

I’m considering a Centerpoint CP400. Snag another pack of arrows, a crossbow target, and a pack of expanding broadheads and call it good. Worth it? Any other options for $700 or less?
There's a decent crossbow for sale in the classifieds posted with some knives. Thought you might be interested. I tagged you on the ad.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like bowhunting with a take down recurve. Pack in and bivouac camp. Getting close enough is a developed skill and luck. Traditional archery is a Zen activity.
The weight of every crossbow I have handled is more than my M1 Garand and awkward to pack or sling.
Crossbow purchase cost is stupid high across the board. Destroys bolts every time you shoot it.

CanadianRiverRat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A quick tip for public hunting. Most Corps of E. recreation areas have portions that are open to hunt, but restricted to archery or shotgun w/pellets only. VERY under utilized places to "meat hunt" with occasional buck traffic and are right next to camping area that often has some facilities (restroom, shower, water and elect.)

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
A quick tip for public hunting. Most Corps of E. recreation areas have portions that are open to hunt, but restricted to archery or shotgun w/pellets only. VERY under utilized places to "meat hunt" with occasional buck traffic and are right next to camping area that often has some facilities (restroom, shower, water and elect.)
That was another big reason for this idea. Between our really long archery season and archery only areas, I feel like I’m missing out on some really good opportunities. One of my favorite WMAs is archery only too.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, you guys are really good at getting me to spend my money. I appreciate it. Any suggestions on educational material to learn about bow hunting or finding equipment reviews?
You could go to bowsite.com and ask for possible books about bow hunting. Caveat: DO NOT MENTION CROSS BOW!! They aren't exactly accepting of anything other than a hand drawn bow. Lots of great information and good folks but biased. On that site, it's a CROSS GUN or X GUN.

As for equipment reviews, my approach is finding something of interest and then Google it. I just did the cross bow listed. Sniper Elite 385 Crossbow. There are listings from retailers for Sale which have reviews along with a couple of Youtube videos. Not much different than you might do for a new/used firearm to learn more.

If you do use those stands you mentioned still in the hunting areas, get a good climbing harness and safety lines. I've got some decent harnesses that came with our ladder stands if you'd like a couple I'll mail to you on my dime since I'm enjoying spending your money! :)

Lastly, post here about bow hunting. I think there's a good knowledge base on OSA to lean on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom