McGee Creek WMA Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Way I read the regs, for deer & turkey, it's archery only, same as statewide season dates, except closed first 9 days of gun season, correct? I.e. Unless you are drawn for a controlled hunt, there is no gun and no ML season there.... and after the first 9 days of gun season, it's open again - to archery only - is this correct?

Another question, just out of curiosity - when they do the controlled hunts there, do the hunters hunt the WMA solely, or do they also put some in the State Park, and Wildlife Preserve areas? Are the controlled hunts always during this first-9-days of gun season, or other times too?

Thanks.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That place is open during bow season and closes only during the controled hunts which there are a few so you just need to check the schedual ... and i might add its a great place and has some good bucks in there as well... turkey are a pain tough, some of the smartest easterns i have ever seen!

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Way I read the regs, for deer & turkey, it's archery only, same as statewide season dates, except closed first 9 days of gun season, correct? I.e. Unless you are drawn for a controlled hunt, there is no gun and no ML season there.... and after the first 9 days of gun season, it's open again - to archery only - is this correct?

Another question, just out of curiosity - when they do the controlled hunts there, do the hunters hunt the WMA solely, or do they also put some in the State Park, and Wildlife Preserve areas? Are the controlled hunts always during this first-9-days of gun season, or other times too?

Thanks.

Sounds like you've got it. The controlled hunts are only on the WMA as far as I know. During the controled hunts, you have to enter and exit at the WMA entrance.

Closed for controlled deer hunts (Oct. 30 - 31; Nov. 6 - 7, 2010).

Reaction score
JT, you mean floating down from the north of the WMA on potapo creek, or staying at the state park on the south side and floating across to the north to the WMA?

My plan is to primitive camp in the state park area on the northeast of the lake, to the east of the far right arm (mcgee creek / grassy hollow arm), on the southwestern tip of that eastern land mass, then take kayak across to the west each morning to the bank on the WMA. Either that or, if girlfriend comes along, stay in a hut at potapo landing on the south side, then kayak across north to the WMA. If it looks like a 'real boat' would take me out on the way across, then I guess I'd drive the long way around to the WMA entrance. :)

I just hope I can get a deer back across without tipping my kayak....better tie that deer down really tight to the 'yak....

Thanks all.

bigcountry, thanks - if these are the controlled hunt dates:

Oct. 30 - 31; Nov. 6 - 7, 2010

Then I find it rather weird that its closed to *archers* during the first 9 days of *gun* season (Nov 20-28), with no controlled hunt going on, especially since there's no quail or pheasant there, to speak of... usually when they do that, it's out west/north, to allow the upland bird hunters to hunt their game without worrying about deer hunters. :confused: Can anyone explain that? So it's closed during all 3 times: (a) Oct 30-31, (b) Nov 6-7, and (c) Nov 20-28 - WTH????? I already had my calendar blocked out to do this archery hunt trip Nov 2-7, but now that's not gonna work. :(

P.S. This is neither here nor there, but I found it more than a little comical that the leafy suit I bought on sale at Academy on sunday also was purchased with no sales tax, as part of the back to school tax-free weekend. That's the new school fashion, dontcha know - a 3-D camo suit!

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
JT, you mean floating down from the north of the WMA on potapo creek, or staying at the state park on the south side and floating across to the north to the WMA?

My plan is to primitive camp in the state park area on the northeast of the lake, to the east of the far right arm (mcgee creek / grassy hollow arm), on the southwestern tip of that eastern land mass, then take kayak across to the west each morning to the bank on the WMA. Either that or, if girlfriend comes along, stay in a hut at potapo landing on the south side, then kayak across north to the WMA. If it looks like a 'real boat' would take me out on the way across, then I guess I'd drive the long way around to the WMA entrance. :)

I used to fish the lake a lot and during spring turkey season we would take our hunting gear with us. The lake is surrounded by turkeys but you can not hunt until you hit those signs in the back of Potapo. Sorry it was vague, I was meaning that if you have access to a power boat(bass, ski, pontoon) that you could launch at the main ramp or the very steep "dike ramp" and run up Potapo to get onto the WMA. If you take your time to learn the creek channel you can run up that creek into the WMA for miles.

Reaction score
Ahh, ok, you mean coming up from the south; gotcha.

Talked to Buddy, the game warden, yesterday.

He confirms that it's closed to general/archery hunting during both of the two controlled hunts, AND during the first nine days of deer gun season. The reason for the latter, you ask? I did. He says it's to "cut down on confusion". Not sure what that means exactly, but OK. I plan to hit it with bow BEFORE the 2nd controlled hunt occurs on Nov 6-7. By the way, that'd be a good controlled hunt to get picked for right there, coinciding with the rut pretty well - early to mid/full rut, depending on the year.

Latest posts

Top Bottom