Mercedes Makes Better Performance a $1,200 YEARLY/ANNUAL Subscription Fee in Its EVs(fee increases horsepower and torque)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the automakers are taking cues from the computer industry. You can purchase the hardware but you only license the software that makes it run.
This is also an effort to stabilize their revenue. For a publicly traded company whose revenue is generated by selling high price tag items, they are heavily exposed to the whims of the market and the consumer's confidence in the market to support them purchasing a $50k, $60k, $80k, $120k semi-durable good. Subscriptions are a solid way for a company to create a more stable and predictable revenue stream which encourages Wall Street to place a higher value on the company.

To compound the issue, the move to electric vehicles removes a HUGE chunk of the steady flow of disposable maintenance items out through the dealer network. That void has to be filled by something. So now instead of going by the dealer to get your oil changed every 3 months, you have to set up a subscription if you want a warm taint and the full performance potential. It is annoying and I will probably be heavily discouraged from buying a vehicle with this business philosophy but I understand why they find it enticing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom