Mils and MOA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StammesOpfer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well first let get the definition out there. Mils = Millradians MOA = Minutes of Angle. Both are measures of angle. they are often confused as metric and inchs but that is incorrect. They are thought of that way because 1 moa matches very close to 1 inch at 100 yards and .1mil is 1cm at 100 meters. But again they are both just different ways of measuring angles.

Now most reticles that are marked for measuring in some way are done so in mils, Mil-Dot being the most common. However there are ones measured in MOA as well.

Most scopes in the US are adjusted using MOA "clicks" 1/4 being most common. Many in Europe have knobs in Mils.

By keeping clicks (knobs) and dots or lines on the reticle the same unit of mesure you gain two advatages. First you can get an instant adjustment based on your previous shot (rather than converting a mil reading to inches and then inches to moa). Second if you are engaging multiple targets quickly you can set you knobs at one distance and use your same balistic tables (rather than having a drop chart in both mils and moa) and just use the reticles to change you aim point (hold over).

Basicly it keeps the math much simpler, allows for faster correction of shots, and prevents accidentaly useing the wrong unit of mesure.

And last availibilty as I said before mil-dots are common and moa adjustments are common. Usually Mil-dot with Mil knobs is easier and cheaper to find than a MOA reticle and MOA knobs. This is simply because not many people make MOA reticles.

I think that covers everything if you have anymore questions let me know.

Latest posts

Top Bottom