Mini Cooper Coolant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I need to top off my wife's Mini. Is Peak Global just fine for it for a short period of time, say a week or two? I need to flush it anyway, but won't have the time to do that for a while. There seems to be a small leak somewhere that I just haven't found yet (not a head gasket... oil checks out fine). I only ask because I've got Peak Global sitting around and available.

The Mini culture sucks, by the way. The only response I seem to be able to get on Mini stuff is "use Mini oil" "use Mini filters" "use Mini bolts" "use Mini soap" etc...

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
By "top off" how much coolant are you talking about? If its just a small amount of coolant that you are replacing then I would assume just adding pure water would be fine until you flush the system.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, the expansion tank was empty. Distilled water isn't an option, as it's a 10 mile drive each way and I didn't want to risk it. I finally found a thread on a Mini forum that committed blasphemy and said it was alright "in an emergency". I'm trying to locate the source of the leak(s) now. I'm thinking one might be the expansion tank because it is still the OEM plastic tank that is known for numerous issues.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it is anything like VW coolant, I feel sorry for you since it will be some very unique antifreeze. I will say before I really paid attention to the fact that VW uses some very interesting fluids and you really should not use other fluids as substitutes, I had some regular off-the-shelf antifreeze running in my car for awhile. Nothing was damaged so I bet you would be ok as well. Now I have some very nice power steering fluid and antifreeze that meet all the VW specs.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it is anything like VW coolant, I feel sorry for you since it will be some very unique antifreeze. I will say before I really paid attention to the fact that VW uses some very interesting fluids and you really should not use other fluids as substitutes, I had some regular off-the-shelf antifreeze running in my car for awhile. Nothing was damaged so I bet you would be ok as well. Now I have some very nice power steering fluid and antifreeze that meet all the VW specs.

Yeah, I know that the equivalent for "Mini" coolant (BMW private label) is Zerex G-05. Of course, Wallyworld doesn't carry it so my wife couldn't pick up any on the way home from the city the other night. It looks like I'll have to have O'reilly order it for me. I might have them also order me an oil filter housing socket because the crescent wrench is getting old...

spamby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wifes got a mini cooper s, alot of the crap that they say to use is just for the dollar amount. We don't go to mini or to the import dealer for oil changes anymore. We go to the local lube place that we trust. I've found that the mini cooper does fine on oil and lube that we use in all of our vehicles. Oh and the run flat tires suck. They don't last as long and ride like a lumber wagon.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wifes got a mini cooper s, alot of the crap that they say to use is just for the dollar amount. We don't go to mini or to the import dealer for oil changes anymore. We go to the local lube place that we trust. I've found that the mini cooper does fine on oil and lube that we use in all of our vehicles. Oh and the run flat tires suck. They don't last as long and ride like a lumber wagon.

The only thing I do special for the Mini is the oil - full synthetic instead of blended. I do have a question, though... is a Mini supposed to come with a spare tire?

NAPA carries Zerex G-05

We don't have NAPA here.

Latest posts

Top Bottom