Modern Bows are pretty insane.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did better today at 40 yards. Still feeling pretty confident with my chances out to 30 yards, assuming I don't contract a quick case of deer/ buck fever when the time comes to release an arrow..... Which is quite possibly considering I should be asleep right now but am instead watching videos of deer being killed by archery... i'm a bit excited for archery season. I like "leatherwoodoutdoors" on youtube... mostly because they have a good camera and I can actually see what's happening.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ive had this mixup this last weekend also. Im talking draw length and the pro shop guy is telling me that a d loop wont change my draw length. I think that some archery folks havent ever shot a trad bow. It all breaks down to your draw length, how far you have to pull in order to get a good anchor, and get some of your back muscles in on it. This is the only thing that really matters; everything else should be fit to your pull.

DeerAssassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can shoot targets all you want, but when that buck fever sets in all your training goes out the window. It freakin' sucks when your sitting there at full draw shaking from the adrenaline trying to get that little dot on the kill zone. Can't wait till October!

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can shoot targets all you want, but when that buck fever sets in all your training goes out the window. It freakin' sucks when your sitting there at full draw shaking from the adrenaline trying to get that little dot on the kill zone. Can't wait till October!

I'm hoping I do like rifle season. Typically once a deer walks out I go very come and logical.. "i need to wait to pull up my gun until he can't see me, I need to.... " and rationalize my moves pretty well. It's 4 seconds after the shot has happened that I can barely stand. Until then I'm actually pretty steady though. HOPEFULLY that will be the same for archery.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And I thought I had a long draw length!! I'm 6' 4" with a 6' 8" wingspan but even I just shoot 31.5"-32" bows, depending on the bow. Enjoy the increased velocity! All my buddies are jealous of my speed. Haha!!

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And I thought I had a long draw length!! I'm 6' 4" with a 6' 8" wingspan but even I just shoot 31.5"-32" bows, depending on the bow. Enjoy the increased velocity! All my buddies are jealous of my speed. Haha!!

Yeah this bow is a 32" draw, but like I said, I have a release and what not. If I were shooting fingers I'd probably need about 34" or 35". Hoyt and Mathews are the only 2 companies I found that makes a bow that long. mucho dinero.

ByrdC130

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm hoping I do like rifle season. Typically once a deer walks out I go very come and logical.. "i need to wait to pull up my gun until he can't see me, I need to.... " and rationalize my moves pretty well. It's 4 seconds after the shot has happened that I can barely stand. Until then I'm actually pretty steady though. HOPEFULLY that will be the same for archery.

Well first off, good shooting with the new bow and with field tips, seeing the yellow jacket target. Now, it's getting close to Sept, time to put the field tips away and shoot a couple of your broadheads. Unless your lucky, your broadheads will most likely hit at a different point of aim than your field tips. If they all hit at the same place great! If they don't, I put washers behind the field tips if they hit high compaird to my broad heads. If the field tips hit low, then use a lighter field tip till they hit at the same elevation.

Your preshot mantra sounds good. Remember to pick as small a spot on the deer as possible to aim at. Don't look at rack after you decide to shoot him until you put your tag on it. And most of all have fun and good luck to you!

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah this bow is a 32" draw, but like I said, I have a release and what not. If I were shooting fingers I'd probably need about 34" or 35". Hoyt and Mathews are the only 2 companies I found that makes a bow that long. mucho dinero.
Yeah, I shoot a Mathews Q2XL at 32" and a Bowtech 101st Airborne at 31.5". It seems like 99% of the bows out there max out at 30".

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well first off, good shooting with the new bow and with field tips, seeing the yellow jacket target. Now, it's getting close to Sept, time to put the field tips away and shoot a couple of your broadheads. Unless your lucky, your broadheads will most likely hit at a different point of aim than your field tips. If they all hit at the same place great! If they don't, I put washers behind the field tips if they hit high compaird to my broad heads. If the field tips hit low, then use a lighter field tip till they hit at the same elevation.

Your preshot mantra sounds good. Remember to pick as small a spot on the deer as possible to aim at. Don't look at rack after you decide to shoot him until you put your tag on it. And most of all have fun and good luck to you!

If your FP and BH are the same grain/weight and they don't have the same POI then the bow is out of tune.
It's not a FP/BH problem it's a bow problem. That or your not shooting the right spine arrows.

I will say this on every thread this is brought up in... You should NEVER change your sight to match you broad heads. You make your bow shoot them all the same

Latest posts

Top Bottom