Monarch steel cased ammo stinks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razorback01

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up a box of Monarch 9mm 115gr FMJ Steel Cased ammo today and shot it up without a problem. However, that stuff stinks like nothing I've ever shot. I can still smell it even after cleaning my gun! Lesson learned...you get what you pay for in ammo! :brick: This is my only experience with steel cased ammo and it's probably my last. Does all steel cased ammo smell this bad or is it just the box I bought?

And will my pistol still be considered concealed if other people can smell it? :rotflmao:

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Monarch is notorious for smelling like urine. I personally love the smell! Its mostly corrosive ammo that smells funny. You think that stinks!? You should try Romanian 8mm mauser ammo! That stuff smells GOOD! :pms2:

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My problem with the Russian steel cased stuff is not the steel case or the smell, its the spotty quality control. You can get Herter's Select brass cased ammunition from Cabelas for $13.99 per 50. That's not bad.

doorgunner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back before this whole gun scare, I would buy their 147 grain steel .308 for 7.99 a box. 4.99 for .55 grain .223. I could shoot all day long for that. And when your shooting .308 out of a FN/FAL, your not going to reload anyway, so why use anything more expensive? I even had a guy call me an idiot for shooting my FAL at a 3 gun match, until ha found out that I paid about 3 bucks less for .308 than he did for 5.56. And I didn't need anybody to tell me I hit the 300yard gong, we all heard it. As far as smell, never been bothered by any ammo smell, I just cared if it worked.

daniel1daniel2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think some of the smell is the laquer they spray on them to seal them I know that it sticks in the chamber when it gets hot which makes cleaning the chamber very important. I know when a cabinet gets singed it smells kinda like that ammo

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of the commie 7.62 x 54 milsurp ammo I run through my rifles has the ammonia/urine smell.

Since I paid a dime a round for it or less, I don't care what it smells like, and I don't care that I have to clean up quickly for the corrosive primers. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom