Feral hog poison

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
“not wildlife” yet hunting license required, “not wildlife” yet permission slip from ODWC for night shooting.

Kansas is even worse, so I hear.

Like I’ve mentioned before, ODWC was dismissive, and only one member of the Wildlife Commission bothered to respond to me over 20 years ago when I approached them about this coming disaster. Basically the attitude was “thanks, but we’ve got this”.

So, carry right on, and enjoy the bounty of pork. The arrogance of government servants likely contributed to the scope of the problem.

bpshooter

Marksman
Reaction score
Not that long ago a "poison" was proposed in Texas and the uproar from opposition stopped it in its tracks. Arguments included unsafe meat, death to scavengers, dangerous to livestock/pets a multitude of other excuses.

Sodium Nitrite is fatal to hogs at significantly lower levels than would cause harm to other mammals. Sodium Nitrite quickly metabolizes in the body and will deteriorate quickly in the environment. It prevents the blood from carrying oxygen.

Nay sayers quickly jumped on board with opponents pushing false information. Feral swine control with sodium nitrite products was voted down because of this.
The hardest part of sodium nitrite from the reports i read was making palliative to hogs they just wouldn't eat it in quantity to kill them. Unless it was mixed with other foods that deer etc ate as well.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The hardest part of sodium nitrite from the reports i read was making palliative to hogs they just wouldn't eat it in quantity to kill them. Unless it was mixed with other foods that deer etc ate as well.
I read up on it a LOT. I understand it is much safer for other mammals. The lethal dose for swine is very low in comparison to other mammals. Feeders designed to prevent consumption from animals other than pigs are available if not required for other poisons.

bpshooter

Marksman
Reaction score
I read up on it a LOT. I understand it is much safer for other mammals. The lethal dose for swine is very low in comparison to other mammals. Feeders designed to prevent consumption from animals other than pigs are available if not required for other poisons.
If that's the case and I'll assume you're right as I've only read a couple articles on it. Then i would wholeheartedly agree with you. That would be a much better alternative.

Latest posts

Top Bottom