More newb reloading questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok so I made a batch of ammo and shot it yesterday. Everything fed well and worked perfectly while shooting. Afterwards I picked up a bunch of my brass to examine for signs of problems (and to reload later). Everything looks good except on some of them the primer has backed out of the case a little bit and is no longer flush, what has caused this? How can I avoid this in the future?

Also, when I was reloading I had a few cases where the powder got stuck on the inside wall of the brass prior to seating the bullet, I tried to get it down into the bottom but couldn't on some of them so I just seated the bullet figuring that the bullet would push the little bit of powder on the inside wall down into the bottom of the shell. Was this a mistake? Does powder on the inside wall of the brass cause a problem? How can I avoid it in the future?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Since it was only on some of them, I would say that you had some oversized/overworked/overcleaned primer pockets. If they're backed out, face of the primer smashed flat or disfigured, I'd say to much pressure. Powder clinging to the walls of the cases will get pushed down with the seating of the bullet, usually caused by static electricity, sometimes caused by lube that isn't where it's supposed to be, but usually static electricity. If it's in the case, it will burn like the rest:)

Horty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Give us all the details

As for more details I have attached some photos. The shell cases seem really sooty, but just one one side. One or two of the primers on the shells looks kind of smashed in which I have read indicates over pressure but it is only on one or two of them.

photo (1).jpgphoto.jpg

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Usually a sooty case on the outside indicates that the pressure wasn't enough to seal the case mouth to the chamber walls. I have that with some of my lighter loads using titegroup in 45acp with 200 grain plated bullets. They function just fine, so I don't worry too much about it. Tumbling the cases before loading gets rid of it for me. Blitzfike

Last edited:
D

dwbammo

Sounds like you have to much pressure and the primer pocket is deforming. Is there any black markings on the brass? I would drop your powder load about .5-1.0gr and try again. That should solve your problem.

gaseous maximus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Usually a sooty case on the outside indicates that the pressure wasn't enough to seal the case mouth to the chamber walls. I have that with some of my lighter loads using titegroup in 45acp with 200 grain plated bullets. They function just fine, so I don't worry too much about it. Tumbling the cases before loading gets rid of it for me. Blitzfike
I agree. To me, your primers don't look like they've been exposed excessive pressure. What bullet/weight and powder/weight are you using? Weird, but I"ve seen primers back out from too little pressure.

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. Sooty cases and backed out primers mean the pressure was too low.

2. Powder adhering to the inside of the case neck probably means you used lube there and didn't get it all off.

Horty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was using 230gr Sierra King FMJ bullets with 6.4 grains of Longshot powder with COL of 1.235. Later I bumped it up to 6.6 grains of Longshot COL 1.235. With 6.6 grains I didn't get any more backed out primers but the cases are still sooty. Earlier today I made a batch of 45 Auto with 185 grain Hornday XTP hollow points and 7.6 grains of longshot powder with COL of 1.225, no backed out primers but cases are still a little sooty. Is longshot an excessively dirty poweder, when I was cleaning my gun it was pretty gross. Any suggestions?

Latest posts

Top Bottom