12 gauge buckshot and slug reloading

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moparman485

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good afternoon guys and gals!

Well after years of saying I’d never do it, I’m about to pick up a shotshell reloader and dive in.

As a threshold matter, I have bene reloading pistol and rifle for 25+ years at this point, and am very familiar and practiced with them, just not with shotshells

So, I am mainly looking to load slugs, and buckshot, as I do not duck hunt (so no steel) and I don’t shoot skeet often enough to justify that (but I guess I could if I got bored).

The slugs will mainly be used for deer and maybe hog hunting, the buckshot will be mainly for stacking away, or possibly heavy pest control as needed.

I also have access to comically vast amounts of processed and unprocessed lead I could use.

I also have access to an inordinate amount of mixed range fires hulls.

I know very little about shotshell loading, and wanted to try and avoid some of the early pitfalls of some of you had prior knowledge, particularly with the type of stuff I plan to load, the guns I may use them in, and the other components.

So, I want to use either/or this 7/8 ounce key drive lee mold, and possibly some of the giant pellet type slugs as well since I love the flat nose and profile of it (and have read great things on it).

Buckshot, I may try and smelt my own, or may just be lazy and try the hornady pre made offerings.

I will be picking up a new Lee load all 2 shortly for a great price.

The shotguns most likely to use them will be:
-Mossberg 835 ulti mag with 26 inch choked barrel, and 20 inch smoothbore barrel (I know slugs aren’t to be used in the ultimag barrel due to overbore
-benelli super 90 m3 with 26 inch choked barrel and 20 inch smooth bore barrel
-savage Steven 320 security with 18 inch smooth ore barrel
-Mossberg 930spx black water with 18 inch smoothbore barrel

Powder wise, I would like to stay with blue dot or unique since I have so much of them, but I am by no means set on those.

Primer wise I have a couple thousand cci 209s on hand

What I have no idea on, is what type of wad is the “good bet” to try first. It’s not as much the cost of them that matters, but I don’t want to have 8 bags of 500 wads with only a handful tested and failed if I can help it. Haha.

It would be nice to have a wad that could work for the slugs and the buckshot, but that’s not required given their relatively low cost.

So, does anyone have experience on this road I’m about to saunter down with regard to powder, shot, slugs, and wads?

I am also curious if 00 or 000 has performed better in game or target for you over the other. Otherwise I’ll just default to 00.

If you have info to share, I would greatly appreciate your help!

I also do not currently have any physical manuals for shotshell loading, so am open to recommendations in that regard as well.

Attachments

• IMG_7507.jpeg
    IMG_7507.jpeg
    14 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7506.jpeg
    IMG_7506.jpeg
    16.9 KB · Views: 0

Paul Box

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Moparman,

I've been reloading shotshells since '80 or so and I've had some luck with 000 and slugs.
Anymore, I usually just load steel for duck hunting. Beats the hell outta any tungsten load available.

The thing about reloading shotshells is that it's really not like metalic reloading in a way that it's not near as forgiving as per changing components of the recipe. Stick with what it states or it could be your last chance to comply. LOL Shotgun barrels can't take the pressures like a metalic barrel can. pistols and rifles.
I would suggest the first thing that you do is, obtain a obtain a reloading handbook from someone like Lyman or similar to determine what components you'll need. Pick your slug style and weight first then the other components from there.

As per your powders yes Blue dot and Unique are fairly common to use depending on what load or recipe you are actually following. Usually matching and positively identifying the cases is the hardest to do. High brass is what your wanting and also depending on what slug you choose will determine whether you fold or roll crimp your shells.

As far as 8 different bags of wads, if you load shotshells there are common wads for the different weights of shot and the capacity of shot. so, yes maybe you'll find a load that uses the same wad for a slug and buckshot but its not very likely to be what you want. I think I have three different wads for slugs and two for buckshot. And the ones for buckshot I use for turkey loads.
It'll even hold 13 dimes but that's for another story and time.

Anyway, I hope this helps getting you started if you not already there I see this is a week or two after your post.

Feel free to ask anything else and I'll point you where I know is helpful.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To back up Paul Box and his great information, shotshell reloading is a whole different animal. AA hulls from back in the day will require a different load than the current hulls. Hull designs have changed over the years.
As Paul mentioned, follow the recipes closely because the hull has to have the proper crimp. If the wad is wrong, the crimp will be sagging and conversely if the wrong wad/load is used, the crimp could be protruding and not hold.
I've been reloading shotshells since the 80's with an RCBS Grand progressive in the 90's, although not lately as it's just as cheap to buy as reload common shotshells for upland and dove. Lead prices are going insane and shot prices follow.
Since the OP is willing to cast, you have to have copper jacketed pellets or high antimony in the lead or else the 00 pellets will flatten against each other and become tiny plates flying through the air vs a ball. Slugs are different. You want them soft to conform to the choke.
Do your research and find the correct loads.

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go to Ballistic Products website ballisticproducts.com and buy three books.
Advantages Manual
Slug Loading and Field Application
Buckshot Loading Manual

This website (BPI) is also where you can buy all the hulls, wads, fillers and other tools you'll need to make shotshells.

I have played around with the Lee 7/8oz slug and found a combo that worked in my Beretta A300.
It is a new, factory primed Fiocchi hull, Clays powder, the X12X gas seal finished off with a roll crimp.

I too bought the Lee Load-All thinking it would be good enough. It is if you only want to fold crimp and are making birdshot loads. It won't drop buckshot or slug loads; just load them by hand. This is, if you start with a new, factory primed hull.

$18.79 for 100 new factory primed hulls.
https://www.ballisticproducts.com/F...clear-UNskived-bag_100/productinfo/0641216US/

Haven't made any buckshot loads yet but those will also be roll crimped like my slug loads so the Lee press doesn't get used at all. Only my roll crimp tool is really needed.

I also bought their hull trim tool to cut hulls down to 2 1/2", 2", 1 3/4" or shorter. I haven't played with this yet but I can make my own short, low pressure, low recoil shells.

Here's pic from the Slug Loading book.
slug loading page.jpg

Last edited:

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have never reloaded shotgun ammo. I am however in need of 20 loaded duds. 12g Loaded with Double O, maybe salt for the powder, leave the spent primer. To train/teach with. I used to have 10, but moving and life crap I lost 7 of them.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have never reloaded shotgun ammo. I am however in need of 20 loaded duds. 12g Loaded with Double O, maybe salt for the powder, leave the spent primer. To train/teach with. I used to have 10, but moving and life crap I lost 7 of them.
I can do this for you but it won’t be soon. In the fall would be the soonest if you can provide the buckshot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom