Mountain Bike...First time buyer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor before you buy a bike from an individual you don't know and search it for both a serial number and any other ID numbers that may have been put on by a previous owner and call the PD and ask if the serial number is good to go. Bicycles are one of the most stolen items in the state. It just takes a few minutes and might save you money and a huge hassle down the road.

Belthos

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The other advice is good. I'd still go used to start because there are legions of people that plan to exercise and blow lots of money on high dollar gear and ride it for a few times then put it in the house and use it to hang laundry.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you haven't got one yet go visit John at probike, I went this weekend and picked up a Fuji Nevada 3.0 and I cannot wait to go try it out

SoonerStatePawn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check out Schlegel's in Oklahoma City at 900 N. Broadway. I picked up a brand new Cannondale for under $600 a couple years ago. If you purchase a used bike I'd recommend letting a local bike shop give it a tune up. It makes a world of difference.

Check out this pic from a couple years ago. I had a little accident on the Hefner trails.

5131_208595615611_8000918_n.jpg

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just my 2cents. I have alot of relatives in Southern California, and the ones who mountain bike are true blue, loyal, only Trek owners. I don't know if this type of bike fits your budget.

They have full suspension on their bikes along with the riding gear and the camelback water systems and all the other garb that goes with it. They even plan vacations around mountain biking.....so if you're that serious, Trek must be good??

Don't know anything about mountain bikes or surfboards but I have a few relatives who swear by brand loyality.

Trek bikes and Al Merrick-Merrit? Surfboards is all they use.

Cohiba

porscheman2944

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would go to a dealer. They will help you decide the fit for your bike. Disk brakes on a bike are a huge cost and unless you are doing some crazy riding will be over kill. We use the Treks as partol bikes and they have stood up to some pretty good abuse. I weigh 305 geared out and riding them up and down stairwells I put them through their paces. If you do alot off off road then go suspension. If you are doing alot of easy riding paths ect. I would go with a hard tail. Like most said getting into a dealer that will explain alot of the sizing ect. it the best options. If anything they will let you gain some knowledge and let you figure out what size bike you need. I have seen a few on here and CL is usually a good source but like they said they if they bike doesn't fit you. You won't get the fun out of it and it is harder on your body if the bike doesn't fit. Good luck and hopefully will will have a spring.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was told to avoid full suspension unless to you spend the money on a bike , the Walmart full suspensions are garbage and couldn't support me at 200 lbs, if I pushed hard to go fast it would bottom out.

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
DanB ended up giving me a bike that he had. I definately owe him! it was very generous of him

It is a blast on the trails at Thunderbird, but it wore me out....I was sore as hell for a few days, but a blast. I plan to ride the heck out of it till I decide to move up to a nice 29er.

Thanks for all the input

Latest posts

Top Bottom