Muzzle brake

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe some will chime in. We are talking precision rifles, not 3 gun using red dots where center mass on human size target as fast as possible is sufficient. We are talking rifle competition where groups are measured in decimals of an inch not time.

Handguns of course brakes will help, rifles in 3 guns and speed competitions will benefit from brakes. However, I wouldn't guess he bought a Magnum Bolt rifle for speed competition, would you?

Who's "we"? OP didn't state it.

OP also didn't specify "competition" use.

I don't understand the harshness?

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

OP clearly stated he was looking for a MB for a Remington bolt-action in a magnum caliber. The other admin is the one that brought up competition use; incorrectly applying principles from 3-gun and similar disciplines when OP was again clearly asking about a Remington bolt gun in a magnum caliber and continued to incorrectly refer to a different discipline after OB had attempted to clarify he was talking about precision shooting using a bolt gun, like how someone would do with a rifle similar to one the OP asked about, while DH was talking about something different.

But, hey, circle the wagons, right?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I guess you didn't follow along. My first post was in reply to OP, then my replies were to the quoted post with my reply. I would have thought as long as you have been a member of OSA you would have recognized posts sometimes get off topic or have go in a different direction.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
OP clearly stated he was looking for a MB for a Remington bolt-action in a magnum caliber. The other admin is the one that brought up competition use; incorrectly applying principles from 3-gun and similar disciplines when OP was again clearly asking about a Remington bolt gun in a magnum caliber and continued to incorrectly refer to a different discipline after OB had attempted to clarify he was talking about precision shooting using a bolt gun, like how someone would do with a rifle similar to one the OP asked about, while DH was talking about something different.

But, hey, circle the wagons, right?

I guess you didn't follow along. My first post was in reply to OP, then my replies were to the quoted post with my reply. I would have thought as long as you have been a member of OSA you would have recognized posts sometimes get off topic or have go in a different direction.

I follow pretty well. And I'm not circling any wagons. It seems y'all "percision muffled shooters" are the ones getting testy.

My comment had nothing to do with it being off topic. Just the harsh tone and "we" language when there was only one talking about each side.

Besides, I have limited knowledge of "precision bolt rifle accurate slow fire decimal group shooting", but I don't recall 7 STW being common in that circle. In which case, none of the precision competition argument means anything. I see a lot more comps/brakes on big bore magnum hunting rifles than suppressors. That seems to be changing, which is great, but there are still a lot of hunters with brakes that aren't interested in suppressors.

So again, why the bickering? And why the "wagon circling" when asked about it?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I follow pretty well. And I'm not circling any wagons. It seems y'all "percision muffled shooters" are the ones getting testy.

My comment had nothing to do with it being off topic. Just the harsh tone and "we" language when there was only one talking about each side.

Besides, I have limited knowledge of "precision bolt rifle accurate slow fire decimal group shooting", but I don't recall 7 STW being common in that circle. In which case, none of the precision competition argument means anything. I see a lot more comps/brakes on big bore magnum hunting rifles than suppressors. That seems to be changing, which is great, but there are still a lot of hunters with brakes that aren't interested in suppressors.

So again, why the bickering? And why the "wagon circling" when asked about it?

I won't answer anymore, unless specifically questioned by the OP. I won't meander off course when questioned by someone else in a thread.

It is text, no harsh tone was used. I am not a master bullshitter when responding. Short and too the point is what it is.

Carry on without me buddy. OP found what a muzzle brake he likes, most likely it is 5/8x24 thread. I didn't come here to bicker and only moderators seem to want to bicker about.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's the one I want

I have one of these that I take out now and again (threaded in 1/2x28, not the 5/8x24 that you need). Very effective and very loud. Made the mistake of trying out on a 7.5" AR in 223... So, depending on if function is what you're going for and are okay with loud (especially loud to the guy at the bench next to you) then the JP will probably suit you fine.

FWIW, these tank brakes are (in my opinion) ridiculously overkill for many applications, particularly small bore where muzzle rise is negligible. It all comes down to application and what you're hoping to achieve.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe some will chime in. We are talking precision rifles, not 3 gun using red dots where center mass on human size target as fast as possible is sufficient. We are talking rifle competition where groups are measured in decimals of an inch not time.

Handguns of course brakes will help, rifles in 3 guns and speed competitions will benefit from brakes. However, I wouldn't guess he bought a Magnum Bolt rifle for speed competition, would you?

Just to clarify, very few three gunners use red dots unless its a close course of fire. Most use high end scopes with minimal magnification because of the nature of the game. 3 gun is a wild cat type of competition where on the same stage one can use pistol at ranges from 5-35 yds, shotgun at up to 50 yds and rifle ranges out to 600 yds. The game is to hit the targets as fast as possible while transitioning between guns and targets.

The targets for rifle at 35 yards are shot with the same rifle/scope combo as the 600 yd targets. 10" plates at 600 yds at some matches with rapid fire using AR platforms require good brakes and an immense amount of skill because they are not shot from a perfect prone position. Tenths of a second can be the difference between 1st and 4th.

Its not precision shooting, and I admire those long range shooters to no end that can put small groups at a thousand yards and better. Amazing skills that require lots of shooting and knowledge of what happens out there. I've been privileged to shoot one of those rifles, and its really incredible.

The can question was ancillary brought up by you.

I answered the OP's question and gave him the answer with a phone number of the people that would know with out a doubt about the thread needed. He wasn't asking about a can in the OP.

Its all good. Just wanted to clear up any questions. I didn't take any offense.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Call JP, find out what size barrel you have at the muzzle. They can help you get the correct brake as they do have them in your thread pattern. Bam easy enough and we didn't have a pissing contest.

Kind of what I said at the first of this thread. JP has great brakes, there are others that have better reviews.