My Boy's First Rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did start mine with single shots.... I just gave them one cartridge at a time till they learned how to shoot straight. Keep it like a game... play "H-O-R-S-E" or some other shoot -til- you miss games.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think a bolt action is very similar to the single shot. Its still a single shot at a time with familiarity with function of a much more common firearm design.

If you have any kind of control over your kid they should listen to you if you ask them to only shoot one and not load the next until instructed.

I shot with a kid a couple months ago who had a single shot, granted he wasn't 3 years old but I got annoyed with the single shot break action. it was just really an inconvenience. Again, he was also probably 9 or 10 years old. His was also the .22/410 combo.

For someone who is 3, if you feel they need to start that early, a single shot is more than adequate. IMO, and I may catch some flak for this, 3 is too young for a real firearm regardless of caliber.

I started at 21 and was scared turdless when shooting real guns with people unfamiliar with firearms because I was old enough to understand the consequences they can have. Let alone someone who is 4 years old.

I agree that making some sort of game of it would be a good way to keep them into it.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good choice. I started my boys on a Little Cricket single shot bolt gun. I agree with the others. Let them learn the basics, then move up from there as they get older.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lately I've been taking a friend of mine and his 7-year old boy to the range,,,
I bought a Cricket bolt-action single shot just for this purpose.

He's becoming deadly with that rifle,,,
I attribute it to the games we play with it,,,
Tic Tac Toe is one I made a target for and he has a blast.

We also found some plastic toy dinosaurs we use,,,
Playing Jurassic Park keeps it fun and I do let him win more than lose.

As a treat though,,,
After he shoots his hundred rounds of single shot,,,
I do let him burn off a couple of 10 round mags through a Mossberg 702.

Hey, all of us were kids once,,,
We all remember how much fun it is to shoot rapid fire.

Aarond

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My sons first rifle will be a Henry Youth Lever action .22

Not a semi-auto bit not a single shot - best of both worlds in my opinion....

I'm excited to take him shooting, but it won't be when he is 3 or 4 - more likely it'll be when he is 8 or whenever he shows competency for taking direction

Latest posts

Top Bottom